menu.lst, boot options?

Hi all,

I would like to have some details on menu.lst!!
the reason is ,if i am trying to add my own boot option where do i need to add it?
is it in menu.lst only or elsewere(am referring to unix os)
because i tried adding a unique boot option and it was not reflected when the system booted?
This is what i did..
title Unix(some special boot option)
kernel <bla bla bla>
module <bla bla bla>

Mind you that the space for kernel and module from the start of the screen is a single tab.
Now can i have some descriptive ans on this.

Thanks

Are you talking about Grub? Have you tried reading the Grub manual?

yes i have read the manual,but still no use
I mean a simple

title myunix

this should atleast be reflected at the grub menu as "myunix" along with all the other options right???

even that is not happening

Are you sure you are editing the right file? Can you drop into the grub shell at boot time and check?

yes it's menu.lst in /boot/grub well for linux, might be different for your os...
You just start typing after the last line...

Hi all,
Am sorry for the late reply..but had been tied up for a while!!!

Anyway,the problem isnt solved yet!!!!
I am working on a livecd so i open up the grub of that from another supporting OS then edit the grub as i want it to be!!! (this grub a part of the ramdisk)....
then recreate the image and load it up!!
but no effect???
Also i tried the same thing once the targeted OS is booted yet no results!!!
I know that,when a livecd is up and running any changes done to it will not be reflected in subsequent reboots....
but i just gave it a try but to no avail!!!!
How to solve this??
pls assist!!1

Thanks!

Suggesting again that you drop into the grub shell and look around to see where it's loading the menu.lst from. It might be quite different from what you are seeing.

I dont know how to look in grub to see which file is loaded?
could you please be descriptive?

However i tried this
grub>configfle /boot/grub/menu.lst

and it took me back to the screen that had the boot options,meaning that menu.lst is one that was calling these boot opts!!!!(hope am right)

Yes, the question is really which drive and partition it is finding this /boot/grub directory on. I can offer no better advice than to look around and try the different informational Grub commands. Does it have the file system you are expecting to see, with the files you expect in the places where you expect them? Tab completion is actually more useful than many of the actual commands.