MC Serviceguard and WebSphere ND 6.1

I am a Lawson Software consultant assisting a client with a Lawson upgrade. One of our components is WebSphere Application Server ND 6.1. Our client is using MC Serviceguard for failover. When testing failover, my Websphere instance is trying to start, but generating this error, referencing the old IP address:

"[2/26/09 19:37:28:588 EST] 0000000a LogAdapter E DCSV9403E: Received an illegal configuration argument. Parameter MulticastInterface, value: 205.173.104.71. Exception is java.lang.Exception: Network Interface 205.173.104.71 was not found in local machine network interface list. Make sure that the NetworkInterface property is properly configured!"

I have scrubbed the whole WebSphere install, removing all server name references and replacing with the package reference.

Does anyone have Serviceguard experience with Websphere APplication Server ND? Are there any special tasks or configurations in WebSphere or Serviceguard which need to be made in order to allow this failover to succeed?

I'll be more than happy to answer any version or setup questions if this will assist in troubleshooting this for me.

Thanks!

Mr. Vitas

What do you call the OLD IP address?
Normally a MCSG package has its own, that should follow the package when changing node...
A long time since I last touched a cluster but here are some commands for a start:
cmhaltpkg pkgname (shutdown the package)
cmrunpkg -v -n nodename pkgname (startup the package)
cmviewcl (Show the status for package)
cmviewcl -v (Show detailed statusby package)

vbe - Thanks for responding. Before failover, when I log into the currently running server, the IP address is 205.173.104.71. In /etc/hosts, it is described as pr-xx-p3. When the failover is executed through serviceguard, the IP of the new node is 205.xxx.xxx.69 and os named pr-xx-p7. When the node processfor websphere starts on the failover node, I get the error message, looking for xxx.xxx.xxx.71. My Admin says I need to find where this request is coming from and change it to my "package name". By the way, the "package name" is not in /etc/hosts.

Its more than 6 years since I last did moe MCSG...
If (I hope..) it did work at a time but no more, then theres chances the configuration files are not up to date or havent been tested after modification...
I can only give you the commands, and you will have to read then man pages ( I dont have...)
To check the configuration file for errors:
cmcheckconf -c cmclconf.ascii (file in /etc/..somewhere sorry...)
Once fixed, you apply new config:
cmapplyconf -c ~/cmclconf.ascii

Then to run : cmruncl ...
I havent tried but I know quite can be done using SAM so have a look
Other commands I dont remember are for you to look at:
cmgetconf and cmquerycl
About the package, you must see it as a virtual server (host) so it should be in /etc/hosts or in the DNS
When I have more time I will try to find my notes... If no one helps you...

All the best

This is true for any clustered application. When you install an application you have to tell the install program to use the virtual IP ( package IP OR Service IP) not the host's own ip. That is what your admin is asking you to do.

I have very little experience with Websphere. But I do know that it acts as a server and listens on a port. You need to find out where that configuration is and change it to use the Virtual ip your admin gives. So that when the package is moved else where it does not keep looking for it's old host's IP Address.

HTH