May i know the day to day activities of a Solaris system administrator?

Recently i have attended a telephonic interview. As i dont have work experience in solaris i was not able to deliver correct answer for this question.

Your answer will help for the people like me who is looking to become Solaris System administrator.

Without being SolSysAdm (yet), I can imagine he will - among other things - pretty much deal with lots of chapters mentioned in SAGs, Vol. 1-3 :smiley:

System Administration Guide, Volume 1 - Sun Microsystems
System Administration Guide, Volume 2 - Sun Microsystems
System Administration Guide, Volume 3 - Sun Microsystems

Besides one can look at different appropriate job offers and find out what the candidate will have to do.

Anyway, I'm also curios to get some first-hand information :b:

There's no correct answer... it depends... if you recite too many things, no one is going to believe you. My best advice is to try to tailor your answer to the job description.

Honestly, if you are a good SA, you don't do much day to day :slight_smile:

The links for docs that you provided are for Solaris 8, there are some chapter that are missing in Solaris 10 manuals which are very useful like cache file sys ...etc enjoy, but if big admin at Sun is a best place for docs

it very much depends.

in my company we have a team of 9 unix admins.
4 solaris admins, 4 HPUX admins, 1 general unix type.

there is no such thing as a typical day, often I am working on projects for upgrading stuff.
some of the time I am fixing faults, 3rd level support stuff.

some of the time I am doing training of our second level team.

yesterday I was going to be setting up LDAP branches for our new HR system.
but I got side tracked by a security project that had issues.

today I was going to be building a new webserver system for our DR site.
but I got side tracked by a problem with our new DNS system.

tomorrow maybe setting up the webserver, but there is a good chance I will get side tracked :slight_smile: