mandrake

I just installed mandrake 9.2, and all I want right now is for gaim to allow me to use msn.. The version I got now is 0.59.? and I have tried to get the latest version but when I downloaded the rpm it said that there were errors... can someone help... for my rpm packaging
I have went to Urpmi and I selected most defaults... but I remeber before that I could seach rpmdrake and it would find files for me off the internet... but now it does't.... Idono, if you could help me with the gaim and rpm thing it would be great... :slight_smile:

First you need to make sure the RPM to install is made explicitly for Mandrake 9.2 because every distribution may use different compiler versions and package library dependencies differently, which will be detected by rpm and refuses to install.

May be you should first a look at rpmfind.net to see if more up to date packages are available. For instance, I found

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/gaim-0.75-1.2.92mdk.i586.html

which is compiled for 9.2 but I guess it may need some other updated packages which you also need to fetch.

Otherwise, possibly the least fussy way is to (try to) compile from sources yourself. That is, download the tarball, extract, configure, make and make install (if everything goes well ....).

thanks alot.
do you have any tips for the gaim msn messanger problem?

Microsoft are regularly changing their MSM Messenger protocol to lock people intot heir officil client. (To be fair, others engage in this practice)

To combat this, you need to keep up to date with the latest gaim version.