Man command doesn't display any output amonst other problems

hi all,

Newbie to Unix and AIX. So my apologies if this is in the wrong place, etc.

Working on box -

uname# uname -a
AIX appt 3 5 00C08AAF4C00

when i type man (some valid command)
it just returns me to the # prompt.

Its running on the KSH shell.

man was working but i was trying to install monitor-9.1.2 so i could get system stats. I have put the tar.gz file in a directory of its own, un tz, and un tar'd it. Changed the makefile cause the 3 locations requiried where all looking at locations usr/local/man /ucd and /bin. so changed these to /usr/man /ucd and /bin.

tried to make the file but getting error

=====================================================
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
make: 1254-005 Ignored error code 1 from last command.
make all
cc -Dmon_notdef -DCOMPPROG=\"/usr/bin/gzip\" -DHIGHLIGHT=A_STANDOUT -
DMON_VERSION=\"2.1.9\" -DMON_DATE=\"26feb2001\" -o get_odm get_odm.c -s -lodm -D
MAIN
/usr/bin/sh: not found

make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Stop.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.

Stop.

since then man hasnt worked also some current cron jobs i.e. errclear are now not function saying cannot exec shell.

Im quite worried that i've managed to kill something here. Any advice welcomed.

Again this is kinda several problems but i think they're all linked.

Thanks in advance for the help.

just to update this.

i tried changing my cron jobs by putting /bin/ksh in front of the commands to get them to run in ksh rather than sh which i believe is the default for cron jobs. But still erroring out.

Also within /bin i cannot see an entry for sh ?!?! have i managed to delete my sh shell ??

thats pretty scary, on an aix 5.3 'standard' installation, i get

ls -l /bin/sh
-r-xr-xr-x   5 bin      bin          237308 08 oct 2005  /bin/sh

thats what i thought. dont know how it happened though. wierd thing is the box is running ok apart from the cron jobs that i guess are relying on sh. i hate to ask this question but if i havent got /bin/sh i take it i need to reinstall the sh shell????

i can sense the impending doom already, but how do i go about this??

This is a test box luckily so no impact to business etc. so i could do with suggestions on what i should do next ? if i can get the cron jobs runnning do i really need the sh shell since my root user uses ksh etc

this is all sorted now thanks to carl - simply had to recreate the link in the /bin folder from ksh to sh -this recreated the sh file linked to ksh. sorted

Are you sure all is OK?
andryk's sh file does not show as being a link!
Looks like you have killed your sh file!
more gloom on the way me thinks :0(
Good workaround though, top marks.
Has it survived a reboot yet?

hi dukessd,

i haven't rebooted it yet - might look at trying that next. i see what you mean about andryk's file. But since i've relinked ksh and sh machine is working fine now. my cron jobs are running fine obviously cause cron uses the sh shell to run the commands as standard, but also my "man" command is outputting now. Where as it was going straight back to the command prompt now its showing the correct man pages ie man find actually displays details for find.

I am looking at reinstalling AIX 5.2 anyway just cause ive never installed AIX before so need the experience.

I'll try a reboot at some point first though and mail back the results if it works or not.

My other problem with installing monitor is that gcc isnt present - so i'll try that first lol