Mail service

I am using rhel OS 7 , how to enable sendmail option , i have looked all places

/bin/mail is this place to start with ?

There's a lot more configuration in setting up a mail server than "enable sendmail".

If you don't need a full-on mail server and only want to send mail via something else's email account, you can look into the much simpler ssmtp.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply
I am comparing the current set up on the server which doesn't have send mail to others which have
I am not seeing /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
i am trying to understand how others were working and saw /bin/mail is a softlink to mailx

any help would be appreciated

Hi,

In RHEL/CentOS 7, the default mail server (MTA) is Postfix rather than Sendmail. Sendmail is certainly still available as a supported and installable alternative via yum , but unless you absolutely need Sendmail for a particular purpose, Postfix is probably the way to go. Certainly if all you want is for the server to be able to send SMTP mail, then the Red Hat default choices should be fine.

1 Like

Hi
You got me to the right point ,yes this is postfix , I checked /etc/postfix/main.cf and /etc/aliases
both were configured as other but this server is not able to generate emails
do I need to think about firewalls?
i check telnet localhost 25 which returned postfix

---------- Post updated at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:17 PM ----------

ok ok I found some thing in logs

---------- Post updated at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:18 PM ----------

Thank you again

Is the problem solved, then? What did it end up being?

Sorry for the late response

the mail service need to be registered internally in the companies website