M5000 boot net- install failed

Good evening all,I'm new to your site, so please bear any infringements or transgressions on my part.I'm new to the whole Solaris boot install over the net scenario, but here's where I'm stuck:I have an M5000 with 2 domains (running unimode). Domain 0 is configured and running Solaris 10. Domain 1 has no OS. There is only one DVD on the system and is accessible from one domain at a time (and requires system board swapping). It can be maide accessible to the other domain but that requires the running side to be shutdown (which I cannot do).So I've created a jumpstart server and it "looks" like it's working. (I get rpcinfo replies from it)It is said that to boot the domain over the net simply type:boot net - installfrom the o prompt. This done from XSCF, I get the dreaded "Can't locate boot device"immediately on pressing return. Makes me think that it's not even trying to look on the network for the Jumpstart server...All suggestions welcome and thanks in advanceRS

Are these systems in same subnet mask? The boot server needs to be in same subnet mask as the client.

and you need to be sure to use the right interface... check the devaliases.

on the OBP, try :

#reset-all
#probe-scsi-all

#watch-net-all >> check which <int> is Ok
#boot net <int>

Greentings all,

Apologies for my delayed response:

May thanks for the replies; much appreciated. I uninstalled the original jumpstart
config I used and installed JET I still get replies from rpcinfo, so I'm kinda happy
that the bootp server is ok...

Apologies for the delayed response:

Kumarmani: Yip it's on the same subnet ( At least I think so!! I can't get to the NIC to set an IP/MASK... but the intention is to have it on the same subnet)

DukeNuke2:
Now that's what I'm not sure of. There are physical devices in the box, although I'm not getting a status when I hook up a cable. I know the cable works because I tested it on domain 0. The other thing is that I'm not sure what MAC to assign it. I did a "banner" from the OBP and used that MAC address. Not sure how to pic up the MAC's from the other NICs as there's nothing running there and I'm not sure hw to pic it up from XSCF>
devalias returns nothing...

Unclefab:
after doing a reset-all, when I got control back, probe-scsi-all yielded nothing
I did a reset-all again and then did a watch-net-all.. also nothing:

{0} ok watch-net-all
{0} ok

Thanks for your suggestions!!

do a "show-nets" from obp and copy the path to the networkinterface you are using. after that do a "cd /path/to/your/interface" and insert ".properties". you'll get the mac address of the interface (and many other infos).

To add on to the Duke solution, to find which network interface is used once you type boot net install. Use the devalias to see which the path of network before selecting the option from show-net.

Thanks for the replies people.
ioxadm -v list gives nothing so... the plot thickens... I can't see IOU 1 so that might explain why I can't get anything to work...

If you can't see any int. via watch-net-all, i'm not sure you'll see some with show-nets.

If you don't have int. defined, review your domain config of your M5000.

Hi all,

problem solved after the motherboard was replaced... probe-scsi-all pickingup hardware,
boot net working... all good

Thanks agin for all your help.

Kind regards

RandomSun