LV and/or physical drive problems HP9000

I'm a technician who has been called upon to troubleshoot an ancient HP9000 K260, running HP UX 11.11.

After a power sag/crash/restart FSCK gave multiple error/warning messages about logical volumes and groups. I have some modest experience with Unix servers, but not on such an old and complex machine, and I'm in way over my head. Before I even go into the problems I'm asking for help with, is there anyone on these forums who has knowledge of such an old machine? I would be extremely grateful for any help I could get. I suspect file system corruption and perhaps a failed physical drive, but I don't even know how to figure out which drive (of the 14) needs to be replaced! I have replacement drives, and happily data loss is not an issue because there was a complete backup of the OS (Ignite) as well as all data.

Yes, I know this machine should have been retired years ago, but for whatever reason the client is willing to spend the money to keep it going for a couple more years. There seems to be nobody in my entire state who has experience working on this thing, however. Including me.

I'm accessing the server through an equally-ancient terminal, not a PC, so I can't copy and paste output here on the forum. I do have clear .jpg images of the screen output, and can attach those.

I will be extremely grateful for any and all assistance.

The ioscan posted is incomplete. There is no detail after c0t10d0 (the 10th disc of 14 discs). You may find that one or more discs is shown as "NO_HW" instead of "CLAIMED".
There is no real evidence posted (so far) of a disc failure as such but it is clear that at power-on /etc/lvmtab did not match the physical discs for some reason.
This document may be useful for diagnosing the fault "When good disks go bad":
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01911837/c01911837.pdf
Suggest you assemble an inventory of the hardware and LVM configuration along with the expected filesystem mount table and compare with your records. Record any commands you have typed which change things (e.g. "vgscan").
Then post the problem on the HP ITRC (LVM board).

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I managed to hunt down a retired HP server guy who has actually worked on this particular machine in the past. He's going to go out to the site with me today. Going to cost an arm and a leg, but that's the cost of keeping "legacy" (old, obsolete, and worn out) equipment up and running. If for some reason this guy doesn't help me find a solution, I'll post the info you asked for. If he does, I'll also come back and tell exactly what was wrong and how we fixed it so future users of the forum will have the information available.