LPAR NIC Problem

On all our lpars we have our main interface set up and a backup network interface. On a number of our lpars those connections go to a down state for no apparent reason. They are still attached but they show up as "*en1" in netstat. Has anyone else come across this issue or know why an interface will go down? I can't find a reason for this behavior.

Hi ,

So do you mean ether channel is configured?

And

how are you identifying the interface went down?
Unpingable or errpt or ifconfig ?

Please post the output..

It isn't etherchannel, that is done on the VIO layer. It is just a virtual nic dedicated to our backup network. And there is no errors on the device, it is discovered because our backups fail because it can't communicate on that network. When I do a "netstat -i" it shows "*en1" so it is attached but not up. I believe it happens on system start up. It attaches the NIC but doesn't bring it all the way up.

Hi,

You will be able to bring this up using the ifconfig command, please note that in AIX this command does not persist after a reboot - also I can say from experience (A deceased P695) that great care has to be taken when using this command on AIX.

Regards

Dave

But how is ethernet on vios side?
One SEA on each vios (primary/backup)?
All ethernet errors are on vios side. see errlog...