Lost+Found is not available

Hi,

I have a AIX 4.3.3 running on IBM pseries server.
I have some jfs filesystems running on it.
I dont see Lost+Found directory in them.
Can anybody guide me why it is not available.

Cheers,
Vinod..

Maybe there was a small glitch in mkfs (that happens sometimes) or you have acidentally (with a mass-removal) deleted it.

'mkdir lost+found'

and the problem is solved.

bakunin

That is not enough to make a lost+found directory that can safely be used by fsck on a damaged filesystem. man mklost+found

Perderabo, you're correct. It worked for me until now the way i have decribed it, though. Who knows, maybe it only seemed to work.

bakunin

You won't know until fsck attempts to connect some files there. And even if that works, it may have been dangerous. The issue is available space in the directory. If there is room for another {name, inode} pair, there is no problem. mklost+found expands the directory and since directories do not shrink, it stays expanded. Most versions of fsck discard the file if there is no room.

I heard a rumor that some recent bsd fsck versions will expand the lost+found directory if needed. If that's true, I hope that it builds a list of these unconnected inodes and waits until after the free list has been rebuilt. Allocating a block from a garbled free list is not wise. And I assume it must give up if the free list is empty.