Looking for help with SunOS 5.6

Hey all,

I've got my hands on 10 SunOS 5.6 SPARCStation 20 machines and I'm looking to get them up and running. They're all in various states of disrepair but I've got them all to a state where the hardware is working and the machine will at least attempt to boot.

I've only used Solaris as a basic user in a former job and haven't used it at all since I became interested in Unix/Linux. I'm looking for a few pointers as I go along as I can't find much in Sun's online documentation anymore.

I'm taking one machine at a time to build up my knowledge of the OS and the first I suppose is the best one to take has a fresh installation of the OS on it. I configured the hostname, Time zone, keyboard layout etc and let it reboot. When it rebooted the X session would not start so I rebooted it again and it gave me one filesystem error, which I cleared and then it would at least boot into a X login prompt.

The problem is now though that every time I attempt to log into either CDE or OW I just get the login prompt again.

All help appreciated,
Kev

LOL!

I have sparc 5 /20 and ultra1 at home, but at one time I used to have even more sparc10, sparc2 very old sun ipc/ipx boxes and one time I nearly wanted to bring home an E3K to start a museum until the woman started screaming and I had to give most of it away sigh ....

Anyway your problem could be due to some environment setting. if you hookup your server to your lan network or crosscable You should be able to telnet in normally. If you can do that you can try to check the server .dt/startlog for more clues

check your .cshrc files make to see if there is such an entry that says

setenv DISPLAY `uname -n`:0.0

The above entry is known to cause logon issues.

I also read from somewhere that adding "xhost +" in the following
file: $HOME/.dt/sessions/sessionetc may improve the problem.

good luck.