Looking for equal to Visual Studio for Unix

Hello all
Im looking for IDE to edit / compile / debug similar to VC++ on windows
I need it for verity of UNIX platforms, what do you think is the best tool to use
And that its learning carve is easy ( as much as possible) .
Thanks

Try Kdevelop.

Is there any easy path to do it in more general IDE like emacs or something?

Then it will no longer be "simple" as you mentioned. I think everyone agrees that it is more difficult to edit with emacs (or vim) than a GUI such as kdevelop, and to me, emacs is not much of a GUI I can think of .....

Well, I have not mentioned Eclipse, although I guess there are third party plugins for C/C++.

Or write/test the code on windows using VC++ then use scp/ftp/cvs to put the source on UNIX for building.

thanks for the relpy folks , ok and if i still will like to use emacs does it have all the things kdevelop have?
is there good books/tutorials about using c++ with emacs and kdevelop ?
by the way im using vi all the time and know it very well , so is it going to be easier??

thanks allot

Which *IX are you using? Linux comes natively with XEmacs and KDevelop. I guess you will find KDevelop easier and smooth to switch to from VS since it has all the components required by the C/C++ developers and more.

You could also try out the NetBeans 5.5.* from Sun. But its a resource eater.

Give eclipse a try, you will not be disappointed :smiley:

I'ld go for eclipse!

Have you looked at Anjuta? It looks like VS to a degree. I am actually looking for a VS equivelant myself.
Anjuta Integrated Development Environment