Logging in as root on SuSE 9.1

When I try to log on as root now all it does is load YaST. When I used to log on as root it would have a desktop and all...what has happened? Thanks in advance.

is kde or gnome installed? are you using kde or gnome?

you can use yast to check this, go to yast, software, install & remove software and search for kde or gnome, if it installed it will display "i" before the name of software

did you patch or update your SUSE linux lately because some patches break kde or gnome.

Could it be that last time you logged out of KDE as root, you had YaST running, and thus when you've logged back in, all you see is YaST as its saved the session?

What happens when you exit YaST, does it log you out or do you see desktop?

Cheers
ZB

KDE is installed and when I close YaST it logs me out. I don't think I've done any updates lately.

Is YaST trying to do something? Why dont you try finishing what it is doing?

Its not trying to do anything that I'm aware of. It just sits there in the YaST Control Center.

hmmm, post the line for root in /etc/passwd.

When you've got the kdm login screen, and type "root", press tab or whatever to move to the password field, what does it say in the drop-down list? KDE, GNOME, (or some other WM) or YaST ??

It could also be the way that you've got kdm configured.

Also, what's in /root/.kde/Autostart ?

This is all assuming that you're using KDE.

Cheers
ZB

Heres the line for root in etc/passwd "root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash"
As far as the Autostart there don't seem to be nothing listed in the directory here's the listing from Konsole
"linux:~/.kde/Autostart # dir
total 4
drwx------ 2 root root 80 2004-09-26 07:52 .
drwx------ 4 root root 200 2004-09-26 07:52 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1525 2004-09-26 07:52 .directory"
There are no options to change on the login screen as far as I know KDE 3.2 is the only thing that it can load.

Sorry to drag up a really old post, but answering one of your recent posts got me thinking about this again.

Inside /root there is a .dmrc file.

Does this contain
[Desktop]
Session=Admin
??

If so, change back to
[Desktop]
Session=default

I think I found this on some forum or another...

Cheers
ZB

Yeah, that worked. I just wonder why it was changed...seems like it might have something to do with maybe clicking the "Administration" button on the login screen.