LM 19.1 from pendrive

I've "installed" LM 19.1 to a PNY 16Gb(2.0) pendrive. I have a few issues that I'd like to resolve. First and foremost, the O.S. experiences "lagging" issues and to a lesser degree, freezing. Example: Complete "boot-up" (from start to complete "home" page) can take upwards of 7 mins. Then when "opening" a browser (Opera- I've uninstalled Firefox) again, a major "lag" of around 5-6. mins. followed there as well. One of the "updates" was GRand Unified ver.2 which I thought might help, but hasn't. I'm wondering if there are inherent problems with running LinuxMint from a pendrive. I ask this because when I tried to run (awhile ago) LM 18.3, I had unresolved problems with "persistence". I'd love to use LM, but as you can see, the way it is "running" it's too much hassle. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced any problem like the ones I described and if there was any resolve? Love some advice/help.
Thank You:

:confused:Rick

All USB based "pen drive" systems can be very slow but you can improve performance a bit by buying a much faster and better performing USB stick.

I have built these systems using both USB sticks and flash memory card and in each case I eventually abandoned the idea.

Even booting from a high quality external SSD can be slower than I prefer but that is what I use for emergencies.

1 Like

EVERYONE:

I apologize for I've not responded to this forum in quite some time. Actually, I forgot!! So, I need to update a bit. As of now I'm running LM 19.1X from a 8Gb pendrive(live). I have solved all the lagging issues w/ previous O.S's by using the latest Rufus 'installer". It provides an option for .iso or dd. I choose dd and that has done the trick, as far as severe lagging . What I have now, as in previous distro's, is getting persistence. I think I've found the solution but wanted some feedback before I implemented the process. Here's what I found... Create A Persistent Storage Live USB With Ubuntu, Linux Mint Or Debian (UEFI, >4GB Persistance Support) - Linux Uprising Blog . I'd like to hear from any of you as the validity of this procedure.

THANX

URL is broken.

You had persistence before, did you not? The issue you had was that it was slow, but this is not unexpected -- USB is slow. Working around it meant putting everything in RAM and that, of course, is not persistent. Catch 22. Slow media does not have a go-faster button, you sped it up by not using it!

It may be possible to do something with unionfs overlays, booting from image but writing to disk, or mounting a read-write /home overtop of the imaged one, etc, etc. Not recommended unless you understand the boot process for your distribution extremely well.

1 Like

Corona688, he's been told this a bunch of times on other forums, and doesn't seem to listen. The link he tried to post was to mkusb, which he was told about 6 times. Doesn't seem to sink in for him that slow media is slow, and he seems to think Mint was designed to be used from USB with no issues. And if I've read their other forum threads right, theyve been using the same USB stick for YEARS now, just reformatting. Telling them about bad cells and flash drive life doesn't sink in either.

You can use mkusb (and other tools) to actually install to a thumbdrive, and partition it. But why bother? There are actual distros like puppy and tails that are made to run like that, so they run faster. Mint ain't one of them.

Well, I don't always agree with Corona688 and he does have strong opinions like many people.

But I am confused why you are calling him out here.

If you want to say that there are Linux distros better suited for USB that's cool, but it is not necessary to call out Corona688 for his different approach.

Right?

I run Linux Mint 19 from a 64GB USB stick on this MacBook Pro and it certainly is NOT slow by any stretch of the imagination.
The full install is large and small sticks may have problems with free space on their sticks for _swap_file_ access and the like...

@Neo...
I don't think Jake19 was calling Corona688 out at all but pointing out the OP's failings on other sites, and said OP has arrived here to ask the same questions.

So an answer is to invest in a larger capacity USB stick as that will solve many problems.

4 Likes

Thanks Wise One.

I must have missed some comma or punctuation, as I read it differently, perhaps too quickly.

Thanks for clarifying.

That's exactly what it was. And he's been given so much hand holding with this, its not even funny. For more than a year now, seriously; and four years, if you go to other forums and see the same stuff there.

He's known about different utilities and other methods of getting things to work, and has been fed how to guides dozens of times, but he doesn't listen. And he conveniently forgot to mention that he's
using a USB 2.0 stick, that's only 8GB in size. And putting swap on it. And FULLY EXPECTS it to work with zero lag.

OK

Enough jake19.

If you do not like a user here for what ever reason, just ignore the discussion.

Thanks

2 Likes

I get it, but before others waste their time with the OP, I think its important they have the whole story. I cannot figure out how to run a full 'desktop' OS (like Mint, or whatever..Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. doesn't matter) from a USB 2.0 stick (with /home /swap and EVERYTHING on it), with ZERO LAG. And I also can't figure out how to do it on an OLD USB 2.0 stick, that probably has a load of dead cells. If someone else can believe me, I'd love to know because I truly don't, and would love to learn. And add to that the fact they've been at this (that is, running Mint from USB) for 5 YEARS now, and I can't help but feel the OPs posts are an exercise in futility.

I can believe a 3.0 stick would work far better, but still, your limitation is the USB bus.