Linux/Unix PDA

Is it possible to get a handheld pc/pda with Linux or Unix installed.
Most of them seem to come with something called Palm OS or Windows.

yes, Agenda VR3 is a pda using Linux.. but I've never understood why you ever would use a PDA. :slight_smile:

Asking why we use PDAs is like asking why we use laptops which eventually relates back to desktop computers.
PDAs allow you to carry the power of your desktop computer anywhere.
We use them because they are easy to carry places.
You wouldn't expect to see someone using a desktop pc in a meeting. It is more likely that he/she would be using a pda or a laptop.

Agree, but unix/linux on a PDA could not be much advantages on it. Why because can u perform or program a 'C shell' script on a PDA, im sure you can do it on Desktop and Laptop for PDA its quite diffrent. Minimal tasks you can run on it. Depends on your needs. You can configure / install X on a PDA which will result on same function of other OS PDA.. Office, Email, some games and some entertainments. Can you expect to find gzip, sed, awk, c / c++, kornshell, cshell, TCL/TK, Assembly languages. Cant rite. Thats the point. Conclusion is PDA is best suited for office based. Some could be Unix based. But not generally / widely on Desktop or laptop style Unix based.
:cool:

Yes, however I am lookig for a cheap PDA and Linux is free.
PDAs with Linux installed must be cheaper than PDAs with windows or palm os installed.

i can understand laptops but not PDA's, that's just MHO :slight_smile:

btw, here's the homepage for Agenda if you're interested: http://www.agendacomputing.com

Hey, speaking of, this was featured on Slashdot just today:
http://www.ncoretech.com/simputer/index.html

Oh boy, I hope they do start mass-producing those! Finally, a PDA I can afford / use (builtin modem, speaker / mic, USB, etc...)

Do a search for the Helio: there is a port of Linux for this PDA (which retails at GBP �50, not sure what it is in the states). I think the port's home is the OSDN or SourceForge ... but don't quote me. Also try the vhl-tools-devel mailing list.