Linux to Windows Printing: PDF starts printing from middle of page.

We are using Red Hat. We have a issue like this: We want to print from Linux, to a printer attached to a Windows machine. What we want to print is a PDF. It prints, but the printing starts from the middle of the page. In the report, there is no space at the top but still printing starts from the middle. How can we get rid of the space and print the entire pdf (1 page pdf) in 1 page?

Printer is an Epson LQ-300+II dot-matrix printer.

What options can we use in the LPR or LP command. I tried Google but none of the suggestions work.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

I would be inclined to convert the pdf to postscript, and then convert the postscript to epson using ghostscript, before sending the job to the printer.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I found a tool to convert pdf to ps. It's called pdf2ps. But I have no idea about converting ps to ghostscript. :wall: Any ideas????

Ghostscript is a package included with most Linux distributions. Its main program is "gs".
Some of the common uses like postscript to pdf and pdf to postscript are pre-scripted as "ps2pdf" and "pdf2ps".
Try "gs -help" to see all the variations on input and output. You will see that epson is a valid output device.

First inclination is to send a form feed character first and risk wasting a sheet of paper.

However we don't know anything about your computers or Operating Systems or your printing setup or what commands you issue.

You have a limited specification printer and I'm amazed that it will print a PDF. The buffer is tiny in modern terms. Nowadays it is cheaper to buy a better printer than to fit memory to an Epson.
Epson LQ-300+II - Dot Matrix. Technical Specifications and Overview

Hello thanks for the replies,

The machine that we are trying to print from has Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga):
[root@dieappsrv ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)
[root@dieappsrv ~]# uname -a
Linux dieappsrv 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 02:16:47 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@dieappsrv ~]#

The Printer is attached to a Windows XP Prof. Version 2002 SP 3.