Linux centos, can't connect whois.tucows.com

Hello, when i tried to get whois on an .com domain, it automatically used tucows whois, it appears it cant connect that server, please how can i fix it, so it dont fail or use another server?

whois mydomainname.com -f
+ whoisout='[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
[Redirected to whois.tucows.com]
[Querying whois.tucows.com]
[Unable to connect to remote host]'

I have:

Linux * 2.6.18-348.3.1.el5.028stab106.2 #1 SMP Wed Mar 27 16:56:40 MSK 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Read the whois manpage. You can either use the -c option with a configuration file or a specific host with the -h option.

Thanks, actually im runing a script which rotating various TLDs, so i thought it can be better to just replace non working tucows by something working? but what is it and where to edit?

There is no standard for replacing "non-working tucows.com". Your ISP (or some other entity) appears to be redirecting whois requests to tucows.com.

This is not under your control unless you specify a specific whois provider using the command line options which I previously told you about.

1 Like

You were right fpmurphy, it was my firewall.

It was because of Config Server Firewall. When i added port 43 into allowed outgoing ports (on the top of the /etc/csf/csf.conf) and restarted csf by: csf -r

it then started to work

Thanks for the update.