Linux capabilities discussion

Hi

I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y.
any idea what this thing does ??

Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ?

~cheers

Let me google that for you

Nothing should happen to the running kernel. Generally the compiling process creates a new kernel and depending upon your distribution, it usually will be nice enough to show you the new kernel in whatever boot manager you're using if any (i.e. grub). good rbatte, good one

The kernel is loaded at boot, and thereafter does not care what happens to the kernel files on disk except for modules.

If you have rebuilt your modules with new options, it's possible that it will have changed too far for your old kernel to load them anymore.

Generally, it'd be better to compile a new, separate kernel than to replace your old one -- that way you've got a backup, if the new one turns out to be broken in some way. I think (but aren't 100% positive) that's what "local version" is for, so that make install saves to /lib/modules/2.6.27-dirname-localversion instead of the /lib/modules/2.6.27-dirname your system came with. modprobe and the like ought to know the difference and do the right thing after you've rebooted into your new kernel.