Linux & Internal Modems

Hello There!

Why is it so difficult (read: impossible) to configure and run an internal modem in linux operating system. Not all can afford an external modem and hardware modems are obsolete as well as out of production.

Is it impossible to write software drivers for an internal modem to work with linux OS? If not, then what is the solution?

Hope some hardcore open source programmers will respond!

JAM

If by internal, you mean winmodem (as are commonly found in laptops), then you will have a very difficult time finding drivers. I suspect the reason for this is that Lucent designed most of them and they designed it specifically for Windows, which make writing open source drivers for them a royal pain.

I took the external modem route and saved myself a lot of aggravation. Almost all of them are Linux compatible (even if they don't say they are).

http://www.linmodems.org/

There was another thread on this subject close by. I suggest you make use of the search feature on this board.

In my opinion, Lucent modems are junk, even when I was running Windows with 56k some years ago I used Conexant modems (Conexant modems are not missing the critical chips and the driver does not emulate missing chips, therefore performance is noticably faster and they are compatible with Linux as well)

I think the Conexant is a reliable name to count on. Thanks indeed Mr. Synbios. Would you please refer to any specific internal modem model from conexant which is linux compatible. I have searched their site a couple of days ago but couldn't remember whether there was any linux compatible modem listed in their product range.

Thanks again!

JAM

www.linuxant.com/drivers
All conexant HCF and HSF modems, which pretty much accounts for most conexant modems in use, are supported in linux with the drivers provided by that website.

Thanks Mr. Djtrippin. The web site you have mentioned has solved my problem to a great extent. I am grateful for that.

JAM