Link aggregation with hacmp ?

Hi,

I need to setup a hacmp cluster (my first one, we usually use VCS on AIX), but I require more network bandwith than a normal gigabit etherchannel setup can provide, so I am thinking about using linkaggregation - 2 active adapters to one switch and a single backup adapter to another switch ... would this work or am I thinking wrong somewhere ?

Kind regards
zxmaus

i don't know AIX but on solaris this can be done. be aware that the switch must support link aggregation!

AFAIK Etherchannel can be used for failover as well as link aggregation - if the switch supports it, as DukeNuke2 has said already. I haven't tried to use that in a HA-scenario, though.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

DukeNuke, Bakunin,

many thanks - I know our switches do support it ... we're running our vio servers with link aggregation - I just wanted to know if hacmp can cope with it, too. Since it is still presented as one adapter, I would think so ?

Rgds
zxmaus

This is supported by HACMP. However, I'd create two Etherchannels LA (of 2+ ports) and use one as backup because in your setup you lose half of the network bandwith in case of an adapter switch or switch failure.