Kubernetes on Ubuntu 16.04

Now trying to install Kubernetes on Ubuntu 16.04. Managed to install etcd and flannel however I am hitting multiple issues installing Kubernetes itself. This seems to be very straight forward on CentOS 7 as it already have the packages.

Does anyone tried having a successful install in Ubuntu 16.04? Also, another question about flannel . Aside from connecting to another pods, is there any other use for it? I am thinking of the performance as it encapsulates traffic and adds another abstraction.

FWIW - you need flannel for networking containers I believe.

Versions you have are:
etcd 2.2.1, flannel v0.5.5, k8s version is 1.2.0.

Right?

I managed to make this work by using weave and kubeadm instead. I also find it easier to install everything out of the box on RH derivatives such as CentOS or even RH 7.3.

Was able to play around a bit having pods, rcs and service. I have some difficulty understanding how an IP will persist on a service. I used loadbalancer as type and configured an external IP with one of the pod. It works as a load balancer without any issue but what is the best approach for keeping a persistent IP so that it survives a node failure where the external IP is set to?