Killing specific process

Hello,
I need to create a process that will kill a specific process if it's running. Let's just say the process is called win, actually called something else. It could be running multiple times on the machine and I would want to kill them all. Below is the code I have written so far, and it works but it picked up a processed called windat. I just want to kill the process if it's called win. Thanks.

for pid in `ps -elf | awk '{print $4"|"$15}' | grep win`
do
  PIDID=`echo $pid | cut -d"|" -f1`
  PROCESS=`echo $pid | cut -d"|" -f2`
  log "Killing $PIDID $PROCESS"
done

Do you have "pkill" installed?

We have a mix of Suse 9 and SCO boxes out in our environment, the Suse boxes have pkill but not the SCO. Thanks.

#!/bin/sh

PROGRAM=$1

matches()
{
        if test "$1" = "$PROGRAM"
        then
                return 0
        fi

return 1;
}

ps -e | while read PID TTY TIME CMD
do
        if matches $CMD
        then
                echo $PID
        fi
done

save this as a script, then run with program name as argument

Thanks... That's a nice little script, I can see uses for that in some other things I am doing. Thanks!

I've modified the script in a attempt to see if a process was killed or not, should be simple I thought. I set the flag to N at the beginning, and if in the if matches statement is true I set the flag to Y. After it's done with the while loop the match flag is N again. Why is that MATCH flag not global inside the while loop? something is eluding me here and I'm not sure what.

PROGRAM=$1
LOGFILE=/usr/local/logs/processkill.log
MATCH="N"
matches()
{
        if test "$1" = "$PROGRAM"
        then
                return 0
        fi

return 1;
}

ps -e | while read PID TTY TIME CMD
do
        if matches $CMD
        then
          echo "Killing PID $PID for $CMD"
          MATCH="Y"
        fi
done
echo "$MATCH"

Because the while loop runs in a separate child process, this is due to the "|".

You could rearrange things and put the while read loop in a function and use it's exit code instead of a variable.