Keyboard vs mouse

Which Input device do you use the most ?
for me... keyboard ofcourse !!

Interesting question. There are a ton of things that you cannot do without a mouse in Windows (which is the OS I use most of the time). Yet I use the keyboard a lot more than others.

But the mouse still comes up tops I think...

rarely touch the mouse and will do anything i can to avoid it

The unix system I use doesn't have a GUI, so, obviously, it's all keyboard.

I access it thru a PC using a terminal emulator. When I'm doing other PC stuff, I tend to use the mouse - but that's because I hate PCs.

When I use my Mac, I tend to learn and use the keyboard shortcuts so I can avoid using the mouse.

Nothing against the mouse, it's just easier and quicker to type rather than mouse.

This thread and poll assumes that a mouse is even available. This century I have tended to use notebooks/laptops which have a touchpad and funny little joystick thingie embedded in the keyboard. I also have a cool keyboard with a roller ball... it works great, unlike those stupid roller ball based mice (mouses?). I don't have a touch screen any more and it's been a long time since I've seen a lightpen, but I'll bet that there other options.

Actually, I have heard about a mouse-like thing that you just wave through the air. Via internal gyros, it figures out what you want to do. Has anyone used that thing yet?

How does it figure out what you want to do?! Pretty cool...

Sorry, blowtorch. I left one work out of my post and it changed the tone. I have only "heard" of this thing never used one. But here is a link:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3443&cl=us,en

You can work without a mouse, but can you do work without a keyboard?

The mouse slows down the actual work as one must take the hands away from the keyboard to do the mouse action. And that typically means grabbing the mouse, making circular motions so you can find the pointer on the computer screen, and then using the mouse to scroll down the page and click the [Submit Reply] button.

It is hard to type with a mouse :smiley: - I prefer 10 finger typing!!

It depends a lot on what you work with, if you run a lot of command line then keyboard of course, but if you use things like CDE or other java based tools, like veritas it's difficult to work without a mouse.

But if you ask me to choose between rollerball, touchpad or mouse, I prefer a mouse anyday.

For me its definitely keyboard most of the time. I prefer to use mouse while browsing but it can be replaced with keyboard using the shortcuts but I got to remember a lot. I have got limited RAM :wink:

When its any new software, I first check out for the shortcut and how to configure keyboard shortcuts.

There is one more interesting fact here.
I know a senior engineer ( he is simply superb ! :b: ) who uses mouse very often though proper keyboard shortcuts are available, where there is no need for a mouse ( not for typing obviously :wink: ) I was quite surprised about this and asked him and the reply was interesting - " I know I have to spend some time in this i/p device switching from keyboard to mouse, but this isn't a waste of time for me as I can think about the problem during the switch "

This was quite unique and different.

I use a :
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/159&cl=us,en
It is placed at about 10 cm under the space bar so I can pass very fast from it to the keyboard with my right hand...

When working in terminal - keyboard. GUI - mouse.

Most of the time when I'm at my home PC use the mouse because I am usually nursing my 7 month old. My laptops touchpad sucks so I use a mouse on it a fair bit. Prefer keyboard but mouse gives simplicity.

I have often thought about switching to one of these as my mouse-clicking finger suffers from repetitive strain pain. Not sure that a trackball would help that particular problem much, but I wouldn't buy one just to try it... what I don't understand is why so few shops actually have mice and trackballs on display attached to a computer so you can try them... how do they expect to convince people that they are the right product to try if you can't "feel" them? The feel of an input device is such an important aspect...

Of course keyboard.. but in some times mouse is also used... both are important to work...

Hi Annihilannic,

My boss paid for my device after I suffered of hand inflamation due to the use of the rodent...
I couldnt play organ anymore and suffered hell driving my bike and could not carry anything with my right hand, the doctor made a prescription for the device as "for trial" adding "if not sucessfull, operation is to be planned".

for me .. I don't use mouse

I love use the keyboard

Actually both are in equal use but keyboard is one step ahead

John

I prefer keyboard when possible. Ultra high-speed scrolling on keyboard: Hold down pgup/pgdn. Ultra-high-speed scrolling with a mouse: Flywheel, gearshift, and 100 extra parts. What will they think of next? :wink: