kde on solaris 8 intel

hi.
Have anyone use kde for solaris, if so can you help me download and configure it. i don't know which files i should download for solaris because there lots of files. Could you point me to the right path.thanks in advance.

If you are a newbie and wish to install the KDE on solaris 8 go for purchase the CD on retail rather then downloading it. (Also i dunt think so the downloads are this available, might be available). But do buy the CD. Check the Solaris webpage for KDE. Also do check the FAQ in this Forum for downloading relateds.

Eh, am I missing something?
I have the Solaris8 operating environment, I was one of those who also downloaded the Intel version.
After installing the 4 CD set, KDE is in /opt/sfw/kde - I think the CD containing this is called 'The Companion CD' - a weird name, since it is absolutely indispensable (The compiler is on it!)
The Fourth is called 'Documentation' and is not completely indispensable if you have a permanent Internet connection, but it is in the set.
The only two CD's that are not necessary are the 1'st install CD (!!?) and the 'Languages' CD - no computer languages, just a whole set of obscure Human languages. I installed that one believing that the compiler was there, together with Pascal,Prolog,Lisp,Forth - I deinstalled it immediately after :rolleyes:

On Intel, the only way now is to order the Media Kit, like suggested, and install the whole thing.

KDE should be part of that???

Atle

hi.

man.. your right there is the kde packages that is on the companion cd, i just install it and i ran the script to have it on the login screen, once i try to login in it kick me right out, i don't know what wrong, i would really appreciate if you can help thanks in advance.

p.s
Since im on my laptop and using the porting kit can that be a problem.

Did you download it ? If yes, then you are in trouble. If no ( you purchased the CD and installed it, did you see any error messages promptup during installation? VGA configurations? Also what do you mean as once you login it kickyou out. Pls define. Since you are using a Laptop to install are you using any PCMCIA card ? model , descp ? Some PCMCIA card need to be configured in Text mode before you check in to X.

I think there are some permission issues here.
But first of all, you must be sure that you PATH reaches deep into the KDE habitat
PATH=/opt/sfw/kde/bin:$PATH
+all the ../bin's you find.

also, you must set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to

/opt/sfw/lib:/usr/lib: .... all the 'lib's you find.

I hate KDE, so I never run it. But, it needs to run a sort of KDE daemon called DCOPSERVER or similar - KDE doesn't run without it.

OK, so I just got it going.
Be sure to set PATH and stuff as above.

Start kdm.

Now, log in as you - if you get twm or some stuff like that, do a ps -a to find its pid, kill it and start kde.

And remember:
This is NOT the way to do it!

there probably is some install scrip somewhere that does it all autokludgily.

Atle

PS: I don't hate it that much, but what do you want that stuff for when there is Motif?

I want to clarify that downloading does not automagically make it no good. The only time I have ever had a bad download of a large software piece was my own fault, because I didn't burn the ISO correctly.

And yes, Motif rules :stuck_out_tongue:

About Motif: It evolves just like KDE and GNOME, but doesn't bloat as much :cool:

And about downloads, that might depend of where you download from.
In the area where I live, it has gone from Impossible_to_run_even_300_baud via _ISDN_at_$400_a_month to perfectly OK in 3 years.

I was the first to have an Internet connection here, I ordered it in 1994, got it in 1996, but it cost about an average person's salary just to get mail - and it was unusable for anything else - with ISDN it would still take 15 min. just to get 5 mails.
Then the phone company went semi-private, and now, they dug up the street, and put in a cable just for me, I have my own cable!
And since 1999, I have been able to download anything with no errors.
It took some experimenting, at least with this particular modem (Alcatel Speed Touch) - I put in a hub to reduce the transfer rate and prevent the modem from resetting every 10 min.
Also, I use wget -c --passive-ftp - should the modem get a hickup, it will continue once it is back up.
It would be fun to see how some other people set up their Internet connections, and for how long they have had them?

Atle

PS: Historical note: My first "Internet" connection was a DataPak 2400 baud connection I had in Grimstad, 200 km from Oslo, where I worked.
This was in 1986, and working from home was just starting, I think I was the first in my village to work over the 'Net'.
I had no direct access to ArpaNet, but a BBS in my area downloaded all the interesting stuff, and gave access to Usenet. My 'PC' was a CompuPro-286 capable of runnning Uniplus System V when using a 68k processor card. The computers cost more than the house and cars together, and had the processing power of a slowish 486!
... ah, old people and their rants about old times :slight_smile:
/PS

HI.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. GEEZZ it not working here my path look.
/opt/sfw/kde/bin/:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/bin:/usr/ucb

i still have the same problem.. what is really weird that when i start it, it seem like it is start the openwindow than boom it switch to the login window again, i get an error the admin server is not running but i don't think that the problem, what is this admin server, and can you tell me about this mofit desktop. Okay thanks very much for your time.

P.S

Maybe im doing something incorrect after i reboot my computer the when i echo the path it seems to disapear..

We're gonna take this step by step from the top.
Solaris CDE can be a tricky beast, and it seems like that is the one you've got.
At the Login Screen, check the menu that says "Options->Session"

It probably says "User's last desktop".

What you want is "Failsafe" (Oh, yeah!:wink: )

That one should get you an 'empty' desktop, no wm, nothing.
Now try 'startkde' - your PATH covers a lot fo ground, certainly enough for that.

This may or may not work, if it doesn't, you want to look for "ld.so xxxx" - failing to load an .so

for each one of these, you need to track down where it lives (find / -name xxxxx -print) and
include its directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

So far, no good, as my father used to say.

Now, all we need is that d@#% DCOPserver.

Do an su and start it as root, that's what I did, have no idea if it's correct.

WRITE DOWN YOUR STEPS!
You may need to put them in the startkde script!

Also, some of these Linux scripts assumes that there is only one shell in the world, the "shell" aka. bash.
Check the script, any lines of type
export VAR=xxx
can easily be changed to

VAR=xxx
export VAR

or make a csh equivalent.

Now, how is this?

Atle