KDE Needs Automake >= 1.6.1 -- I have 1.11

Hi,

I'm on Fedora-11-x86_64 with KDevelop 3.5.4. I have automake 1.11 installed, but when I attempt to run automake and friends on a new project I get:
*** YOU'RE USING automake (GNU automake) 1.11
*** KDE requires automake 1.6.1 or newer

I reported(KDevelop) the error Bug: 210084
Answer: wontfix

Does anybody can help? I have to keep on with my job(SW develop).

Thanks.

Why do you not wish to update your version of automake?

Please, correct me if I'm wrong:
(GNU automake) 1.11 is newer than automake 1.6.1
To what update I should go? How?
Thanks.

You are correct -- it is newer. This would be a bug in kdevelop's automake scripts.

Linking to your actual bug report would have been helpful. Here's the report where they tell you they're not going to fix that version of KDevelop since it's too old, uses KDE3, and is unmaintained. This implies the existence of a newer kdevelop that is maintained and uses KDE4. Time to upgrade your desktop to KDE4. Or downgrade automake to 1.6.x.

This is far from the first time automake has flagrantly broken itself, though. It's also bloated itself beyond dreams of bloat. You might be better off with makefiles and DDD than an all-singing all-dancing automake-based monstrosity. Automake does to make what MS Word does to HTML.

Corona, I have to agree with you on that point.

Lucilio, I should have been clearer on my answer. Sorry. I really meant to say
update (downgrade?) your build system to use automake 1.6.1.

Ok,
It is dificult: KDevelp4 should not be used for production code. May be it could be better to stay on my Qt3 Creator, and wait for KDevelop4/Qt4 that will come with Fedora13. It's a shame. I'll try to test Kdevelop4 and I accept sugestions/comments.
Thanks.

Don't mistake the IDE for the compiler. They both use gcc. The quality of your code has little to do with what particular text editor it's written in.

If you're so worried, why not downgrade automake?

Right, of course the code quality is ok. The case is that I always search for better maintenance tools and looking to the future, in the "Project Management" KDev4 "Can't open KDevelop 3.x project files (any build tool supported in the 3.x versions)". In the "qmake Manager" no KDev4 compatibility. Even with all the for and against, I'll test/change to KDevelop4. Because I don't like the idea of downgrading. Do you agree?
Thanks for your opinion.

KDevelop does doesn't sound like a good maintenance tool for the following reasons:

1. It can't operate on anything but its own projects. It can't maintain anything not created in it.
  2. It can't operate on anything but projects of the same version. Backwards compatibility was a lost cause in its previous version breaks, too.
  3. Changes in automake have pulled KDevelop apart several times.

It's realy a shame. Are these friends from Kdevelop realy serious? Or the enemy is under control? It seems they are kidding. It could be so beaultiful. why loose all this works that was done? Why we don't understand each other stopping with so many linux flavors? We should not be so dumb and follow the exemple of Europe with the euro. We could have the "Euro-Linux" called "PeaceMaker" or "UNIXfier". This way, it goes easy for M$, and the money is winning, and the SW lovers(open SW) are loosing. The best way to do the best is loving the job/work that you do. SW also has a beauty, and we can be happy with it.
What good(Linux) maintenance (IDE)tool you suggest?
Thanks.

I reccomend make, the GNU Data Dump Debugger, and whatever editor you want.

The reason no GUI IDE has succeeded at bringing the world together in an all-singing-all-dancing-platform-independent-joy despite the droves of them in existence is that they're the wrong solution for the problem of general maintenance. An IDE by nature isn't flexible enough for general maintenance, they by design impose huge restrictions on their environment. That, and most of them depend on autotools, which have their own problems.

OK,

I will try GNU Data Dump Debugger. I liked the idea, and it seems to be my style.

May I ask another, a more complicated tecnical question about Linux subject, or I should open an other Thread?

Thanks.