Jvm.dll failed to load error

In my AIX 7.1 , jre is not working. I have attempted reinstalling but not succeeded to get rid of the error. Following error I am getting (jvm.dll failed to load: global entrypoints not found)

bash-4.2# cd /usr/java6/jre/bin/
bash-4.2# java -version
jvm.dll failed to load: global entrypoints not found
Failed to find VM - aborting
bash-4.2# 

Can someone suggest the root cause of the problem?

Regards,
George

Very strange for .dll are specific to Windows... (shared libraries under UNIX...)
VM is it virtual address space??? (running out of memory?)

Have you set any JAVA evironment variables?
Could try

DLL = /usr/java6/jre/bin/j9vm/libjvm.so
 DLL = /usr/java6/jre/bin/classic/libjvm.so  

or wherever libjvm.so is...

ADDENDUM

n12:/usr/java6_64/jre $ which java
no java in /usr/bin /bin /bin/sbin /etc /usr/local/bin
n12:/usr/java6_64/jre $ echo $JAVA_HOME

n12:/usr/java6_64/jre $ bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pap6460sr9fp2-20110627_03(SR9 FP2))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 AIX ppc64-64 jvmap6460sr9-20110624_85526 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - 20110624_085526
JIT  - r9_20101028_17488ifx17
GC   - 20101027_AA)
JCL  - 20110530_01

I have set DLL environment variable. But the error remains.. JRE in this system was working earlier. I do not know what went wrong.

Have any of your environment variables changed, such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

What's your OS?

What's the full path of the java executable you're trying to run?

Without any "DLL" environment variables set, what's the output from "ldd -r -v /full/path/to/java"?

He stated that in post #1: AIX 7.1

To find out which Java version is installed search for the installed package:

lslpp -l | grep -i java

In most cases this will be Java 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7. Once you found the name of the package issue a

lslpp -f <packagename> | more

To find out which files (and for your purpose more important - pathes) belong to the package. Then check your environment. You need several variables set:

"PATH" should include the bin-dir of your Java installation, something like "PATH=[...]:/usr/java6_64/jre/bin:[....]".

"JAVA_HOME" should point the root directory of the package, something like "/usr/java6_64/jre"

"LIBPATH" and "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" are in the same format as "PATH" (a colon-separated list of directories) and should both include the path to the Java libraries, which are located in either "$JAVA_HOME/bin" or "$JAVA_HOME/lib".

You can set these variables in your "~/.kshrc" file but i suggest to put them into the environment of any user (perhaps every user should be able to use Java) by placing these definitions in "/etc/environment".

I hope this helps.

bakunin