Jumpstart solaris

Hi all ,

I am trying to jumpstart ( webstart) solaris 9 on E2900 ( client) using the DVD of a V440 server ( jumstart server). I did the setup for the V440 as follows :

cleaning up preexisting install client "XXXXXXX"
removing XXXXXXXfrom bootparams
removing /etc/bootparams, since it is empty
removing /tftpboot/inetboot.SUN4U.Solaris_9-1
removing /tftpboot
disabling tftp in /etc/inetd.conf
making /tftpboot
enabling tftp in /etc/inetd.conf
updating /etc/bootparams
copying inetboot to /tftpboot

Now when i try to boot the E2900 using boot net i am getting the following error :

Requesting Internet address for 0:14:4f:7e:da:64
panic - boot: Could not mount filesystem.
NOTICE: f_client_exit: Program terminated!
debugger entered.

Did anybody passed across such an error ...
Thanks In Advvance
ppass
Cheers

It looks like the nfs share for the root is not available to the client. Check the dfstab, and restart the NFS daemon on the server.

the outout of shares is :

bash-2.05# share

•           /export/install   ro   ""

•           /cdrom/sol\_9\_404_sparc/s0   ro,anon=0   ""

•           /cdrom/sol\_9\_404_sparc/s1   ro,anon=0   ""

so i guess that there is no pb on the NFS.

try using this:
BigAdmin: JumpStart Enterprise Toolkit

Note I did not saw check the output of shares, I said check what is in dfstab and restart the NFS daemon, this is not the same thing. Also it looks like you just shared the DVD, that will never work for a jumpstart. You have to run setup_install_server, not just point to the DVD.

Thanks reborg ,

Well i am not sure of this ... But i followed the documentation in the installation guide ... To Install or Upgrade From a Remote
DVD-ROM and CD-ROM

Please note that i only need to use the DVD of the remote system in order to do a web start ...

On the Boot server : i did add_install_client
on the client : boot net

i am not sure if i missed a thing or lot of things .....

thanks

so, why not using the tool from my first post? this makes things a lot easier...

i will try the tool , but iam guessing that the pb is related to the communication between the 2 servers , So even if i used the tool i dont think that it will help ,
It will make things easier but i am not sure if it will solve the pb !!!

For the truncated output you posted, it looks like what you are missing is the boot server. It looks like you read the instructions on how to add a client to a jumpstart, but you didn't read the prior chapters where it tells you how to set up the jumpstart server to which you are trying to add a client. When you tell the server to boot from the net, it goes out and looks for a boot image from the jumpstart server, not the one on the DVD, but the one on the jumpstart server root directory, mounts it, and boots into an operating system, which then starts an installation based on whatever the profile says (image, flar, DVD, etc) This boot environment is set at the beginning of the jumpstart server installation with the command setup_install_server, as Reborg pointed out.

Bingo! That's exactly what I was getting at, but was under time pressure so couldn't post as full a reply as I would have liked. I't the boot server, not the installation source which is the problem, you need a working boot server irrespective of where the install media is located.

@reborg

this is why i recommend using the JET package in my first post. all config is done by default and all you have to do is write your config in a file... thats all...

Thanks Guys

I am using the JET package and i have setuped everything
now iam hanging when i am booting the server
the JEt will hang at

whoami: no domain name
Hardware watchdog enabled
Unretrieved lom log history follows ...

2/10/08 5:32:37 AM Domain Reboot A: Initiating keyswitch: on, domain A.
2/10/08 5:32:37 AM Domain Reboot A: Initiating keyswitch: on, domain A.

I understood that, there are also several reasons why I don't use JET and there are many places where JET is not acceptable due to the combinations of non-support and non redistribution clause, I was not in a position to know the policy where the OP was working.

Aditionally I find it is far better to understand how something works before using and becoming dependent on tools like JET; by the same token I think it is better for someone to learn to use the more restrictive versions of standard tools before using GNU extended ones. It's a question of having a more generic set of skills.

@reborg

so is my way... but i'm getting tired to explain the same thing over and over again :wink:

Do this: more /etc/dfs/dfstab.