Jumpstart Issues With T5220

I'm trying to use a V210 (sun4u) configured as a jumpstart server to flash install a number of T5220's (sunv4).

The Facts:
V210 - Solaris 10 (September 2010 Release / not patched)
T5220's - Archive's created using prior (unknown) version of solaris 10.
Flar -i <archive name> shows the archives where created on the sun4v architecture.
Config Files: all necessary config files seem to be in place on the v210 - i've checked and they all look fine to me.

The symptoms:
boot net - install starts the jumpstart process
finds the mac address & client boots to install process
reads the appropriate sysidcfg file
NOW instead of decompressing the archive - it drops to an interactive install mode

for the life of me i can't see why it's not decompressing the archive - there's obviously something in the config / archive that's not configured correctly, would be gratefull for ideas.

Thanks

Nick

3 things you can check

1. Check content architecture of the flash archive .. if sun4v is not there u can add the sun4v later.

2. Check your sysidcfg file also .. when the client drops to interactive mode its most probably the sysidcfg file issue.

3. copy the check script from the sol10 update8 and run it on rules file.

And the try again.

flar archive content architecture is definitley sun4v.

A question please if someone could answer it:

Does the flar archive file have to have the architecture of the jumpstart box contained within it, in order for the jumpstart server to manipulate / serve the file?

just though i'd update this thread with my findings.

the problem was with the version of solaris 10 that i had installed in the jumpstart root; ie. the latest version

it seems that "Oracle" have introduced a compulsory registration section in the install (unlike the sun registration after first boot). the interactive screen was dropping out to the registration process - when suitably filled in (or bypassed) the flash archive continued & installed okay.

so just need the appropriate keywords etc to include in the sysidcfg......

Hi Clectic MOnkey,

Can you share what did you modify in the sysidcfg file .. i 'm asking it for the reason that i 'm installing installing solaris 10 u9 & u8 on almost daily basis and i have not came across this issue.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

i haven't as yet found an answer - i just manually bypassed the registration process, and the rest continued without a glitch. my comment above was more a question to be honest if anybody could advise?

what's more interesting though is that you say you are restoring without issue.... which means there must be something in my config that's still not right. Hmmm,,,,

just to confirm - you're running Sol 10 (Sept 2010) as a jumpstart root and your rebuilding archives from a previous solaris version right?

I 'm using solaris 10 u8 as jumpstart server and i 'm using solaris10 u8 & u9 archives from that box to build Ldoms and normal sun4v & sun4u servers