Jumpstart / Flar problems Solaris 10 8/07

Hi,

Im trying to make a jumpstart dvd using an flar archive.

I have done this before on earlier releases of Solaris 10 (Sparc). Im now trying to do the same with the 8/07 release..

Problem :
After the server is installed (during first boot ) the Select keyboard layout dialog appears. I have no idea why. Im using the keyboard=US-English parameter in the sysidcfg file.

I get no questions during the jumpstart/flar unpacking phase.

Anyone know if they changed something? I cant find anything in the manpages etc.

If anyone know what makes that dialog pop I can just make sure it dosent run (if its in smf etc? )

Any help or pointers would be very appreciated!

Thx,
Peter

I'm guessing here becasue I only have SPARC solaris boxes to hand where the keyboard keyword is not used, but I would guess that the reason that it is not working is bacuse that value is used only when configuring the Xsun Xserver but Xorg is being used in you installation.

My suspicion stems mainly from this section of the sysidcfg manpage as kdmconfig is not used to configure the X.org Xserver.

The following keywords apply only to x86 platforms. For  all
     these  keywords, use kdmconfig -d to create or append to the
     sysidcfg file. See kdmconfig(1M)

Although there is nothing in the documentation to suggest that this is the case.

Thanks for the answer.

I started out with no keyboard entry in the sysidcfg file (and got the same problem) so I tried added the keyboard= but it didnt make any difference. So thats not the problem.

I heard there were some bugs with the NFSv4 domain setting that sounded like the same problem I have now with the keyboard. The solution for that was to remove it from the sysidtools config files under /etc/.sys* (cant remember the exact name of the files)

Have not verfied this yet.
Will give it a try tomorrow.

(Im using a SunFire V210 with serial console and no keyboards attached. Im also using the latest firmwares)

/Peter

Problem resolved!
I removed the /usr/sbin/sysidkbd line from /etc/.sysidconfig.apps file before flarcreate

Will look more into this later.

Cheers,

/peter

hey s93366,

i am facing a similar issue but i get asked all the questions from timezone to domain stuff..etc..
I initially thought it might be because it could not find the sysidcfg file on the network. But without that it would not have got the system-name and other details. Only after the first reboor after the flar is uncompressed, i start getting asked these questions. Do you think it might be the same issue too?

Below was my voe.

No idea.

Only had problems with the keyboard thing.
Check the /etc/.sysIDtool.state and/etc/.sysidconfig.apps

I havent had the time to read up on the exact meaning and functions of these files yet but it seems they are responsible for the dialog boxes (maybe someone here have more knowledge about these files?).

How do you deploy the flar archive? Jumpstart or DVD ? is it X86 or Sparc?

If you are using jumpstart with for example dhcp (boot net:dhcp - install) you may end up with most of the network config from the dhcp server and no questions are asked (hostnames and IP)... So are you sure it finds the correct sysidcfg file?.

Im suspecting my problem was related to doing an upgrade from an older solaris release and then flaring it. Im not having these problems when installaing the 07/08 from jumpstart (without flar)