JREHOME not found AIX 7.2

Hey everyone, longtime lurker here , 1st post!
After upgrading from AIX 6.1.8 to 7.2.0 none of my apps even look like starting coming up with JREHOME not found, this was a clone of an existing box which is still running but this doesn't have this variable defined, its running JAVA6_64.
I tried defining the JREHOME to point at the JAVA bin directory but no luck.
Does any one have any ideas. thanks in advance Matt:confused:

Hi and welcome.

IBM did a helluva job in mystifying where the java binary is in various versions: there is a shell variable pointing to a symbolic link, which points to another symbolic linkw, which ....

My first suggestion is to deinstall all the JAVA-versions which you have installed (as they are designed for a specific OS-version chances are they are for AIX 6.1 instead of 7.2 anyways) and then install the latest JAVA-version for your current OS-level.

If you need a specific JAVA-version (like JAVA6) you need to get that for AIX 7.2 from IBM (with a valid support contract you can download it from FixCentral) and then deinstall every JAVA-version now installed and then install the downloaded one. After this reboot the system to make sure eveey process needing JAVA is started with the newly installed version.

Notice that there are usually two directories with binaries: $JAVA/bin and $JAVA/jre/bin. $JAVA is usually /usr/java<something> where <something> depends on the version.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

we had all the java back to 1.3 , so i followed your advice and uninstalled all, worked a treat thanks:b: