Issue with Fiber Channel cards in Solaris

hi everone
i am experiencing disconnectivity from storage to My database machines. i have doubt on my FC cards in my sparc T4-2 machines. i want to know how should i check from my solaris that whether the cards are ok or not because once the disks get disconnect from SAN so it come back again but till then my database instance get crashes. so i want to confirm from my machines that whether fiber cards is ok. i usually use

fcinfo hba-port

it always connected and says online

plz guide what else should i check , any commands etc

regards

My first questions are (1) What make/model of storage is it? (2) What make/model of FC cards?

The first place I would be looking is the link configuration(s). The expensive FC cards are highly configurable beasts and the settings need to be compatible with the hardware at the other end of the link. Under pressure, the storage controller might dispatch a packet with a higher payload than the FC card buffer is configured to take causing data to be lost, protocol recovery to be invoked (unsuccessfully), etc, etc.

Have you run an I/O benchmark between Solaris and the storage to see the performance and, more importantly, whether that breaks too.

1 Like

the storgae controller is huawei with fol details

Device Model:	5300 V5
Version:	V500R007C30
Patch Version:	SPC100 SPH103
SN:	xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WWN:	xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Fc cards on T4-2 servrs are

HBA Port WWN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c3
        Manufacturer: QLogic Corp.
        Model: 371-4325-02
        Firmware Version: 05.06.04
        FCode/BIOS Version:  BIOS: 2.02; fcode: 2.03; EFI: 2.01;
        Serial Number: 0402H00-1232035501
        Driver Name: qlc
        Driver Version: 20120717-4.01
        Type: N-port
        State: online
        Supported Speeds: 2Gb 4Gb 8Gb 
        Current Speed: 8Gb 
        Node WWN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HBA Port WWN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c4
        Manufacturer: QLogic Corp.
        Model: 371-4325-02
        Firmware Version: 05.06.04
        FCode/BIOS Version:  BIOS: 2.02; fcode: 2.03; EFI: 2.01;
        Serial Number: 0402H00-1232035501
        Driver Name: qlc
        Driver Version: 20120717-4.01
        Type: N-port
        State: online
        Supported Speeds: 2Gb 4Gb 8Gb 
        Current Speed: 8Gb 
        Node WWN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

now bencmarking is already done by another team and its ok as the same is working in other data cntre very well

--- Post updated at 01:39 PM ---

i have changed the cables connecting machines to storage controller and then change the SFPS in FC cards even the issue persist. then i also change the ports at
Fiber switch but issue remains the same . now from the same switch and on the same WWN on storgae controller we have another database running + other chaisis but no issue there so i guess it will be the FC cards which is messing so that why i asked for any commnds to check the constant connectivity of this FC cards or any thing else for the same purpose

Regards

Look for an update of the driver/firmware.
You bought them from Oracle? Contact Oracle support!

1 Like

I totally agree with MadeInGermany that you should check for a firmware/driver update.

Also, if you have a working configuration then that's always a good start since you can compare setting with the faulty system.

It does rather look like the primary suspects are the FC adapter(s) so I would compare all the QLogic BIOS settings against the working configuration and justify in your own mind the reason for any differences.

In particular I would be checking (with typical values I would expect to see in brackets) Frame Size (2048) and Execution Throttle (64).

You might also consider talking to QLogic tech support.

if the HBA are connected to SAn switches, I will to verify in errors appear in the ports, exits several types or errors, each type of errors could be help to identify the root cause, inclusive exist piort configuration that could be wrong.

What brand of FC switche are?