Issue while installing: Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23)

Hello,

As explained, I've encountered an issue while installing Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23).

Actually, patch no 120011-14 stops with the following error:

ERROR: attribute verification of </var/run/.patchSafeMode/root/usr/bin/passwd> failed
    file type <f> expected <s> actual

Installation of <SUNWcsu> partially failed.

Here is an ls -l on the file/link:

$ ls -l /var/run/.patchSafeMode/root/usr/bin/passwd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          20 Jul 10  2007 /var/run/.patchSafeMode/root/usr/bin/passwd -> /usr/seos/bin/sepass

Any idea please?

Thanks & regards.

Looks like a tivoli access manager hack.

Thanks for the tip!
Do you have an idea to make things work by any chance? :slight_smile:

I would say restoring the OS to a supported configuration is required. That includes reverting /usr/bin/passwd to its original status and content at least during the patch installation. I have no idea about what might break because of that though so you should first try that on a non production platform.

1 Like

The only way I have been able to fix the systems is to boot in failsafe mode and then apply the new kernel again with patchadd -n -R /a patchid.
Look at the README for this patch and see if it gives advice on the workaround.

1 Like

We were not able to make it work and therefore have to rollback the operation.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind next time we'll have to work on this.

Regards.

Did they have Tivoli access manager installed ?

I guess you mean "apply the new kernel patch".

I don't expect any workaround in the patch documentation as the system as it is is unsupported. Looking at TAM documentation would be a better way to figure out how to handle the situation.