Issue during boot

Hi,
I am using SCO OpenServer 5
During boot I get this message:

PANIC: HTFS: Bad directory ino 2 (offset 0) on HTFS dev hd (1/42)
Cannot dump 8095 pages to dumpdev hd (1/41): Space for only 0 pages

Dump not completed

How can I fix this? I have no boot/root floppy.
If it is a "disk full" issue, is there a way to mount from Linux floppy/cd and delete some stuff?
Thank you very much

There really is not a lot you can do. You have filesystem corruption. If you do not have a backup you can try checking and replacing problematic cables or raid (NAS) boxes. If you have another SCO system, you can try to attach the hard drive to the other system then run

fsck -ofull /dev/[whatever]

See also the badtrk command.

Gee, I have not thought about SCO for years... surprised myself with what I remembered.
Probably due to all the SCO nightmares we had.

For legacy systems like that you absolutely positively MUST have current backups. You also want to keep spare parts, as newer disk controllers, etc., may not work with the driver set. Try Ebay for spares.

I recall having to get some old hardware from Ebay... which finally triggered the Duh? response from management.

1 Like

What device(s) does the system have for non-HDD booting? Floppy drive or CD/DVD?

I think the message you are getting may refer to a CD/DVD media error (HTFS) and, if you are attempting to boot from CD, I must ask you where you got the media from?

This recent thread may also be helpful:

Oh, and what SCO version is it exactly? 5.0.6 or 5.0.7 or what?

Dev 1/42 is the root file system. It is almost always a HTFS file system and there are no other operating systems that support this type.
Even if you do not have 5.0.7 installed, you may be able to run fsck by booting from a 5.0.7 cd that you can download from here Xinuos Inc. | Support | Update | Download | Support
You must copy the .iso to a CD, a DVD will not work.
Boot from the CD and type "tools" at the Boot: prompt.

1 Like

Hi!
I can boot from both floppy and CD.
I found a "boot disk" floppy, release 5.0.2
I don't know if this system is same version.
In case.. what can I do if I boot from floppy?

5.0.2 lasted about 6 months in 1996 before 5.0.4 was released. As far as I remember, the install disk (N1) is only good to load a kernel and start the installation process from the cd.

I presume this means that you have two boot devices, not that you necessarily have media for both of these devices.
What disk controller is in the computer?

You can boot from floppy in order to check and potentially correct a root filesystem. However, you will a 'boot' floppy and a 'root' floppy to get a shell. You need both of them.

What SCO version CD do you have?

See my post#13 on this thread here with regards creating new floppies from a distribution CD. You may also learn something by reading all of that thread.

It probably won't matter if the floppies are a few revisions out from the installed system; you should be able to 'fsck' the root.

JGT's comment:
"As far as I remember, the install disk (N1) is only good to load a kernel and start the installation process from the cd. "

The 5.0.4 N1 was broken. I used the 5.0.5 version which accomplished the same thing.