Is it possible to compile 64 bit application on 32 bit machine

Hi,
I am using 32 bit machine, and I want to compile 64 bit application on 32-bit machine.
So please tell me is it possible or not?

Regards
Mandar

It is possible to *compile* but not to *run*. You will need to use a cross-compiler (such as gcc) and the full set of header files and libraries for the target platform. It's generally cheaper and faster to just purchase a 64-bit computer :slight_smile:

Thanks otheus.

I'd also add that a 64-bit x86 computer has no problems compiling and running 32-bit programs. Just gcc -m32.

Theoretically, no. But in 2006, I had problems with some software at one site with a Debian installation. Then there are things like running Firefox, where some plugins only existed in 32-bit form. (Adobe Flash for one, but that was eventually fixed.)

To run 32-bit programs on Linux, the ld linker must correctly search for the right 32-bit libraries at run-time. This can be accomplished with chroot environments, or with a more sophisticated ld.

This might be old news. By now (2008) such kinks have probably been worked out.

Interesting, how was that fixed? I'm running 32-bit Firefox for compatibility with 32-bit flash. I understand there were workarounds but not a real solution. I should check up on Gnash again, I tried it years ago when it still had awful clipping problems...

But that's kind of my point, I can use a 32-bit firefox. An end-user might have issues but developers should have what they need to find the libraries to make it work.

Adobe issued a 64-bit flash plugin, making possible native 64-bit firefox installations. The first few versions were buggy, as I understand it, but as of Firefox 3.0.4 (or so) it's been quite stable. At least, this is according to my successor.

Terrific. Only took them 5 years :wink: