I/O error

I have error in my tape drive... what is that mean this msg "tar: write error: I/O error"
plz help me :frowning:

i checked the SCSI and the power of the tape drive.

bash-2.03$ mt -f /dev/rmt/1 status
HP DAT-72 tape drive:
sense key(0xb)= Aborted Command residual= 0 retries= 0
file no= 0 block no= 0

bash-2.03$ tar -cvf /dev/rmt/1 afm.dmp
a wapgwbak20060318030100.dmp 462208 tape blocks
tar: write error: I/O error

Regards,
Ahmad

Um, well it means you asked the tape drive to write some data on the tape. But this did not happen successfully.

thank you Perderabo, but i know it did not happen successfully.. but how i can fix it.

Thank you again

Ahmad

Cleaning the tape heads with a cleaning tape sometimes works. Try a new blank tape... maybe you just have a bad tape. Maybe the drive is broken and you need it repaired or replaced.

I did all this but still i have the problem :frowning:

thank you Perderabo

Ahmad

New tape drive and a new tape?? Still doesn't work!?? Well, I sure am glad you didn't bother to mention that in your first post. That might have saved some time! We can't have that!

Did this ever work? Have you patched anything that might have given you a new tape driver? You might have a bad driver, unless this worked before and the driver has not changed. If the driver is good, then it could be the scsi cable. You do have bus terminated, right? Or it could be the scsi hba. Or it could be the pci slot or even the pci itself. But if the driver is good, somewhere you have bad hardware. (Can you get your money back on the new tape drive? ouch!)

thank you Perderabo, but i have 3 tape drives but the problem still, i have to check the scsi cable as you told me ...

thanks again

Ahmad