internal network chat

anyone help me get a perl script or c++ that will let me talk to a nt4 box from my win98 server without having to be online ?

define talk please.

the request is rather vague. what exactly are you trying to do.

i want to have a chat program to type to another computer and they can type back witout being online.

You need some sort of medium, otherwise the message can't be sent/received.

If you just want to compose messages offline, use email.

what do you mean a medium ??

Some method of communication between the two machines such as a network.

From what I have read, you wish to be able to communicate between two machines without having to use an IM service such as AOL that requires the user to be connected to the internet but the local network is fine.

Is this a correct assesment?

if you mean what auswipe said then you can set up samba on the unix machine, and that comes with a program compatable with win pop up, win popup is a chat program standard with windows for communication within the internal network.

Yes. thats correct. I want to be able to IM between to computers like AOL IM but not have to be online. How do i set up this win pop on win 98?? we now have a win server in and our Unix server is gone :frowning:

winpop up is standard, all that needs to be running is the program on both machines wishin to communicate, the program should be located in the windows directory.