instead VI editor - which one?

I'd like to find some editor for HP-UX, something like notepad, but not VI editor. Can someone have some ideas which one?

thx

You may find something like nano to be easy to use.

I would, however, recommend that you learn to use vi - whilst confusing at first, it soon becomes second nature - and you can always depend on it to be available on all but the most archaic flavours of UNIX out there.

Cheers
ZB

I would agree. Learning the vi Editor was the first Oreilly book I ever purchased and it has paid off in spades. Other UNIX skills you will learn such as awk, perl, regular expressions and the like will compliment and add to the power of the editor. It is also something you'll find on almost every system, unlike a gui/notepad like editor. You can find copies of "Learning the vi Editor" for as little as $2.95 at Bookfinder.

Speaking of nano, I found it interesting that it was the only editor available during portions of Gentoo.

Cheers,

Keith

I agree with both replies, not only is it the only editor you are likely to be certain to find, on low bandwidth connections to remote locations, or in situations where you cannout launch a GUI based editor, it may well be the only choice.

While to some people it is unappealing to use as a day-to-day editor it is an absolutely invaluable tool, so for your own sake I would urge you to become comfortable with, even if you would not have it as your first choice.

Does anyone know, how to force vi to go to the next line in case going the to the right at the end of the line?

try pico the files are save in my documents

I agree that vi editor is most powerful and u will find it easier once get accoustom to it. However, you can use another editor called emacs.