Installing Solaris 11.1 on Red Hat system?

I'm wanting to install Solaris 11.1 on a system that already has Windows and Red Hat and a boot system managed by GRUB.

From what I've read, the Solaris 11.1 install will recognize Windows fine and account for it with GRUB 2. But it doesn't mention any other OS.

It talks about installing on systems with Solaris 10 and the previous GRUB version (legacy), but the instructions are fixed on Solaris 10 - no other OS.

Can someone tell me if they've sucessfully installed Solaris 11.1 on a system with Red Hat - without erasing Red Hat?

Thank-you,

• John

I'm running a dual boot system with OL 6.3 (RHEL 6.3 compatible) and Solaris 11.1. I just had to manually add the Linux based OS to Solaris 11 Grub menu (chainload). There should be no risk to erase Red Hat as long as you do not select the entire disk or one of the Red Hat partitions to build the Solaris one but select unused space for it.

As usual, the advice is to backup at least the important files before performing that kind of operation.

Yes, I concur with what the response above indicated. I'd also recommend you consider adding another disk. Whether an internal drive or external, you can most likely gain substantial experience without having to try and setup a triple boot scenario on a single drive.