installing solaris 10

hi all,
i am trying to install solaris 10 into sun ultra 3000
i burn .iso image into cd-rw with 6x speed(iomega) and when i put into cdrom server i got the problem like below:
{a} ok boot cdrom -s
Boot device: /sbus@3,0/SUNW,fas@3,8800000/sd@6,0:f File and args: -s
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

i used an option : create a CD from an image file(from nero burning).
it is solaris 10 for sparc version.

b: could you tell me, what can cause the problem ?

thanks

Do you run UltraSPARC I or UltraSPARC II CPUs ?

n3tw0rkfr34k

HI...
i am running ultra sparc ii 336mhz for sun ultra enterprise 3000

when i investigate yesterday, the solaris 10 i download 3 months ago is for x86, but not sure if it will run without problem after i create a cd image for sparc to run solaris10
i will post my quiestion if i find any problem..
thanks for your reply..

have a good weekend all..
bye

Solaris x86 won't work for a SPARC system - you have to download Solaris 10 for Sparc.

I have the same problem but the CD is for a sparc and I'm installing it on a Ultra 5. Anyone have any ideas what I'm missing that is preventing me from booting from CD?

could you post the output of the command
probe-scsi-all

gP

probe-scsi-all came back with nothing. I know it is all connected since I currently have Solaris 9 installed and have inserted the CD and it mounts just fine while booted in Solaris 9. Doing a probe-ide returned:

Device 0 (Primary Master)
ATA Model: ST38410A
Device 1 (Primary Slave)
Not Present
Device 2 (Secondary Master)
Removable ATAPI Model: CRD-8322B
Device 3 (Secondary Slave)
Not Present

It also seems on further inspection that my boot device and the original posters are different for the CD.

I get:

ok boot cdrom -s
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

I had just gotten the iso's off Sun's site late last week and burned it with Toast for Mac without any errors.

It's been a while since I've used Solaris on a Sparc box so I'm a little rusty. I've had to use Trusted Solaris 8 on x86 hardware lately.

With the existing solaris installation booted is it possible to read the CD you burned?

Yes, I can see the contents of the disk just fine.

One thing I did notice before in the older Sun machines, is that you need to burn the CDs at a low speed (<= 8x) or they sometimes had issues in booting.

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try and see if that helps.

I burned the iso at 4x just to make sure and when I left the CD burning, it hadn't given me that error and seemed to be booting. That's a pretty interesting problem to not be able to boot from a CD burned at faster than 8x.

Thanks.