Installing SCO OpenServer v5.07 on an HP ML350 G5 server

Hi there

We are trying to install SCO OpenServer v5.07 on an HP ML350 G5 server.

I have downloaded the drivers from HP's website, but are getting nowhere. (I feel that I am going round in circles - every time I google for the drivers, I end up here.) :frowning:

What happens is we create the driver disks successfully, and when sco boots, we type in the following bootstring :

defbootstr link=ciss

and also

defbootstr link=ciss hd=Sdsk Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)

Everything goes well, we are prompted to insert the stiffy with the driver, it loads the driver, and then tells us that there is a clash with the character major - we can either proceed with the new default of 9, or reinstall the driver.

The install program comes up, asks you for the keyboard layout, and the license number and license code. Then it terminates with the message that there is no root device. :confused:

Also, we have created the array with the HP array configuration utility, so there is a logical drive.

The driver we downloaded from HP's website is : HP ProLiant ML350 G5 Server series- Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Your help and assistance will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Libs

Remove the Sdsk=ciss(0,0,0,0) from the bootstring.
You are forcing the install program to only look for that specific scsi address.
On many RAID host adapters, bus 1 is used, not bus 0.

the new ML 350 G5 servers come with SAS hard disk
this means new technology, wich is serial adapter scsi, the new generation of scsi, which mean that has to be bot with a new string containing the new driver, in this case "hpsas", the complete string on boot as follows:

defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0)

hope it helps you

Thanks, it helped a lot. :b:

no problem, glad to help !! :slight_smile:

Hi The_Librarian I SAW UR THREAD ON INSTALLATION OF SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.7. ON HP ML 370 G5 SMART ARRAY P400. I WISH TO KNOW THE DRIVER THAT U DOWNLOADED FROM HP SITE AND WHAT TO DO I TRIED DOWNLOADING ROMPAQ BUT WHEN I INSERT THE DISKETTE IN THE DRIVE IT WAS COMPLAING THAT THE SYSTEM COULD NOT LOCATE THE BIOS. I WILL APPRECIATE IF U COULD JUST GIVE ME THE TWICKLE OF THE DRIVER TO DOWNLOAD AND DUMP ON DISKETTES . IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.4
THANKS TO ALL. I NEED HELP I HAVE BEEN ON THIS SINCE THREE WEEKS AGO.

THANX

Davosky,. download th pack for create diskettes from
HP ProLiant ML350 G5 Server series- HP ProLiant Extended Feature Supplement for SCO OpenServer Release 5 - HP Business Support Center
that P400 uses the same as hpsas, just use the same string above, hope this help you, and the bios message, did you configure the array??, good luck

It works well Thanks. u are 1dfl. Bless u:b:

no problem, davosky, by the way what means 1dfl. ???

Jactroo 1dfl means wonderful( we use that a lot on text messaging on cell phone has eaten deep into my fabric). Thank:Ds alot

Hello all,
After installing the Sco openserver5.0.7, i downloaded the network drivers downloaded for the HP ML370 G5 Servers from the net and installed Intel (R) Pro/100 Network according to instructions i noticed that i couldnt ping the server itself with the ip address i used.
and i have to connect it to the windows xp workstations . what do u advise that i do?
Thanks i really need help seriously

davosky :confused:

First time I read about a problem like that, always can use ping to test itself the network card, mm did you choose to inhabilitate the ping command ?? have no idea about, but if the pc can reach it with telnet or whith another instance like netbios shouldn't be a problem, good luck

SCOAdmin's a scary place to go in, but with patience one will be able to survive that experience.

Regarding the network drivers, I downloaded these from HP's site, unpacked it to stiffy, and used SCOadmin to add the drivers (use the add software feature), and then go to the network section and add the new NIC.

HTH

Libs