Installing Samba on AIX 5.3

Hello, I need assistance installing Samba on AIX 5.3 TL06. Smitty Install produces the following error message:

Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no
Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below.
geninstall -I "a -cgNQqwXY -J" -Z -d /samba/samba-3.2.7/source -f File 2>&1
File:
J:script

/samba/samba-3.2.7/source/script/installbin.sh.in[11]: shift: 0403-009 The speci
fied number is not valid for this command.

Prior to getting this error, I downloaded the compress file and extracted it. The make command did not complete successfully either. It produced this error:

make: make 1254-025 There must be an existing description file or specify a target.

After getting that error, I went to a website and downloaded samba-3.0.26.0.bff. However the install is still not working. Please advise.

I send you this link to install samba

Samba on AIX

I hope this helps

Greetings

Thank you lo-lp-kl,
unfortunately the document did not address my issue. It addresses issues after Samba has been installed on AIX. I have been unable to get that far.

tgray71

install it from rpm:

IBM AIX Toolbox download information

I think the problem when installing form source is xlC, perhaps it must be compiled with gcc (also downloadable from this link)

Funksen,
I used both of thses documents and I think I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet. I installed two files ( I didn't install the client file) using a rmp command. I attempted to start the server, by running:

# nmbd
# smbd

No errors were produced, but when I ps -ef and grep for these, nothing is produced. I checked the /etc/services and etc/inetd.conf files and both contain entries for swat. I tried to connect ussing a browser and that didn't work either.

Caution, the version of Samba (2.2.7) on the AIX Linux toolbox site does not support large files (> 2GB). A better binary version (3.2.28) is at Index of /samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/AIX