Installing Perl DBI and DBD

Hi, i have some queries on installing the Perl DBI and the DBD Oracle.

I know that i have to install the DBI first. I have the source files in a folder in my home directory.The commands to install are

cd /home/DBI
Perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

I would like to know, after executing these commands, where is it installed? And also, if i installed it using my login id, when another person logs in, would that id be able to use these DBI modules?

in /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ by default, at least on my Fedora 8. Another person will be able to use them, yes.
Two quick checks you can perform :

perl -e 'use DBI; print $DBI::VERSION,"\n";'
perl -e 'use DBD::Oracle; print $DBD::Oracle::VERSION,"\n";'

If you are not root or the permission of the default installation directory (that is usually somewhere in /usr, but that location varies from installation to installation) does not allow writing by your user, installing will fail and you should see error message while "make install", so it is easy to spot.

You will need to pass additional parameter to "perl Makefile.PL" to override the default installation location such as when installing with user privilege. I think it is something like (I have not installed modules as a user for so long)

perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/home/blablabla/libs

If you are just a normal user and do not have root, I guess you can only install it in your home directory and others will not be able to use it.

ExtUtils::MakeMaker - perldoc.perl.org

Hi all,

i managed to install it as root user, and any one can use the modules. Thanks.

Hi cbkihong,

you mentioned that installation location varies,how can i find out where did my installation went to ?

I normally find it out with something like this:

cbkihong@cbkihong:~$ perl -MDBD::mysql -e 'print $INC{"DBD/mysql.pm"}, "\n"'
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.0/DBD/mysql.pm