Installing OpenSolaris on Sun v120

I have come into my possesion a v120 server at work that was decommisioned from another project. I don't have the Solaris Installation CD nor do I have root or any user credentials on this server. My goal was to install OpenSolaris on this server and use it as a playground for learning UNIX admistration. I am communicating with the server using serial port and Hyper Terminal via LOM port. I place the OpenSolaris 2008.11 CD in CD drive and when I poweron from LOM, it takes me to login prompt, not installation setup.

My Questions:

1) Is what I am trying to accomplish possible in the first place?

2) How do I get server to boot from CD drive? Also, not sure if the CD is mounted, but I can't log into server anyways to find out.

3) Are there any other options for installing OpenSolaris?

Thanks!

go to obp and enter "boot cdrom". you'll get obp by enter "console -f" at the lom. you should see the "ok" prompt. if not you've to send a "break" from lom.

If the "console" command does not give you a response from the LOM try moving your serial cable to the TTYA port (first serial port), the console might be using that instead.

An inherited machine can be "fun" to try and gain access to!

I tried entering console -f at LOM prompt, and it just says system is in standby

I tried using the other serial port, but nothing happens there, so I think the cable is in the right port. All I can do is poweron and then I have the login prompt.

lom>break
System in standby
lom>console -f
System in standby

I tried removing the disk drive to get the OK prompt, which I did.

Then I entered boot cdrom

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/cdrom@0,0:f File and args:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

I tried a second cd rom with OpenSolaris 2008.11 and got:

ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/cdrom@0,0:f File and args:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

I wonder if the CD Drive cant read burned cd's?

looks like you've burnt the x86 version of solaris... you'll need the "sparc" version!

in your first try to get to console the system was powered off. do a "poweron" from lom and then a "console -f".

You are correct, my bad, I will download the sparc version and see if that solves my problem.

Thanks!