Installing en_US.UTF-8 on Solaris 10. Newbie.

Hi,

I am looking to install en_US.UTF-8 on to a solaris 10 Sparc server. Is it possible to install this character set from the iso image? I have an iso image only (sol_10_u.iso) on CD.

I have used the command below but with no success. Any pointers to get this installed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

localeadm -a en_US.UTF-8 -d /cdrom/cdrom0/sol_10_u.iso

what does this "sol_10_u.iso" contain?

you can mount an iso image with lofiadm. then you can run the command you executed previously. however, depending on the contents of this iso, you may not have all necessary files in there.

post any outputs/error message when you run the command. that'll help us debug your problem.

Hi ubyt3m3,

I have done the following:

I have mounted the 5 Solaris sparc CD's and two language CD's using lofiadm to /dir/sol10. That worked fine.

I then ran localeadm -C to create new config file. That worked fine.

I then ran the command localeadm -a en_US.UTF-8 -d /dir/sol10

It complained about not being able to find Solaris disk 2.

I then mounted the DVD iso image with lofiadm. That worked fine.

I then ran the command localeadm -a en_US.UTF-8 -d /dvd/sol10

I have got the following error.

## Executing preinstall script.
## Installing part 1 of 1.
pkgadd: ERROR: class action script did not complete successfully

Installation of <SUNWeudlg> failed.
/usr/sbin/localeadm[174]: /usr/bin/expr: syntax error

I had already installed en_US.UTF-8 on to a test Solaris 10 system using this exact method and exact iso files without any problem. The localeadm and pkgadd binaries on the successful system where slight different to the failed system. I copied them across from/usr/sbin to the failed system and tried again. Same result. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I never encountered with this sort of error but for start, try opening /usr/sbin/localeadm with a text editor (vi, emac, etc) and check the line number 174. Is that line executing the expr command? Anything wrong with its syntax?

I have had the same problem, you need to install this patch :
#137321-01: SunOS 5.10: p7zip patch
it contains 7za, which for some reason is used to compress the pkg files.

i often use a Solaris DVD with command:
localeadm -a nam -d /cdrom/Solaris10/Product
always sucess but i take a lot of capacity.