Installing and configuring OpenLDAP

I downloaded the following packages for OpenLDAP wjich installed in /usr/local:

openldap-2.4.24
libtool
openssl-1.0.e
db-4.75.25NC
gcc-3.4.6

All installed with a problem, As soon as I tried to start up sldap, it said I was missing libicuuc.so.2

Has anyone here sucessfully installed OLDAP on x86? If so, where can I find this missing library? Thank you.

Hi,
I have been working the same thing. I don't know LDAP so well so gave up on installing the ldap server on Solaris 10. Thought the install for openldap on Solaris 11 is really easy. I ended up installing openldap on Red Hat. Setting openldap up and getting it running on Linux systems is fairly easy compared to doing it on Solaris 10. On youtube there are videos that setup openldap in about 5mins, using Linux.

You might want to try anther package system to set up openldap on Solaris. I had a hell of a time using sunfreeware packages. Blastware and openCSW have packages that I think will work better for you. These package managers do most of the work for you.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the two sites to download software. I think I may be able to find the missing libraries there.

I have a small test network, that I can't attach to the company network. As soon as I download them and get them over to the Solaris machines, I'll see if that will fix things.

At work for testing purposes, I only have access to SPARC and Windows workstations. The Windows machines have the usb ports disabled. At home I use virtual box and the X86 setup for Express 11.

At work we use SPARC as well, but I have 2 SUN blades that are x86. I installed RHEL on one of those. I also used virtual box at home on my Mac. I built 2 CentOS and 2 Solaris 10 images.

The OpenCSW site has a command that will download the packages from the internet.
Example: pkgutil -d --stream openldap-client
At lease this is the command I as given on the IRC chat on there web page. Anyway this command allows you to download the packages and install them on anther server. But the server you are downloading on must have the same setup as the server your installing on.

I'm currently working on the client setup for the Solaris 10 servers. The issue with this is that the Solaris native ldap client doesn't play nice with openldap. So you can use the native client or use the openldap client. If you want keep in touch and I will help you when you get to this point.

One thing that is not clear to me. I'm at the OpenCSW site. Downloaded and installed the pkgutil. Is this site strickly SPARC? www.sunfreeware has both SPARC and x86. It will work for me here, but not at home. Thanks.

Here you go
pkgutil OpenCSW Solaris packages

It should be in SUNWicu. Is that package installed on your system ? What precise Solaris release/update are you running ?

On my laptop I have Solaris 11 Express. On my SPARC workstations, I have the latest release of Solaris 10.

What packages are you installing, precisely ? (full name / url )

I went to Sunfreeware - Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) for Sun Microsystem's Solaris, download the packages, and used pkgadd to install them. Installed:

gcc-3.4.6
libtool-2.4
openldap-2.4.24
openssl-1.0.0e
sasl-2.1.21

All installed in /usr/local

It would help if you answer more precisely (if at all) to my questions.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be openldap packages for Solaris 11 Express on that site.

Perhaps are you attempting to install the Solaris 10 ones ?

and by the way, unless you really need 2.4.24, openldap is in the default Solaris 11 Express repository. All you need to do is:

# pkg install openldap

or use the GUI if more you are more comfortable with it. That will install 2.4.21 with all its dependencies.

Hey if your using solaris 11 this really easy
To install openLDAP in the GUI go to Systems-->Administration-->Package Manager
Put in the root password
do a search for openldap
check the box next to openldap and click install/update.
Your done

Now all you need to do is configure some files. You don't need the files from sunfreeware.

I have Solaris 11 Express at home, but Solaris 10 here at work.

Please answer to the question I asked in post #7 then.

I am on a private network and can't connect the SPARC machine to our company network. I did download the Solaris 10 version of X86 for the Express 11. At any rate, As far as the SPARC version goes, my original question was regarding a missing library. I have that now. As far as Express goes I'm runnung that under VirtualBox. I will try installing it as you recommended. Thanks.