Installed OpenSuse 12.1 w/KDE - system freezes at graphical login

Hi,

I installed OpenSuse 12.1 on my Dell 690 (X2 dual core Xeon 2.66GHZ, 8G RAM 667 FBDIMM quad channel, 500G at striping RAID (2X 250G SATA), nVidia Quadro FX 3400).

All installation was smooth, took less than 15 minutes. But when I'm trying to login, instead of showing me the desktop computer freezes (user/password screen in fine, just desktop seem to have issues). I can move the mouse and see the cursor, but keyboard becomes stuck and even numlock does not lit.
I waited about 3 minutes but it was still stuck. I rebooted and attempted to login with root - same problem.

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Previously this computer ran some version of KUbuntu side by side with Windows 7 without any problems.
I have OpenSuse 12.1 on at least 4 computers, but getting this issue for the first time.

---------- Post updated 09-14-12 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-13-12 at 12:40 PM ----------

Update: I found what is the problem: display adapter drivers. When loading with generic drivers without 3D acceleration it works fine.

My display adapter is: nVidia Quadro FX 3400. I didn't think about it initially because installed another Dell Precision 690 with FX 3500 and it worked fine there.

I also found similar post in other forums when users were complaining about new driver.

I believe that updating driver to version that supports my display adapter will work fine.

Anybody knows which version of nVidia driver works good with Quadro FX 3400?

Thanks.

Problem has been resolved.:slight_smile:

I installed nVidia driver version: 304.43 and everything works great now, including 3D acceleration.
I used Yast to install drivers from nNidia repository, version is according to supported adapters list in nVidia site.

Thread can be locked. Thanks.