installation question

Hello people!

I just wanted to install SuSE on another computer now, so i booted from the newest cd iso.. It has a flashy welcome screen :stuck_out_tongue: and stuff, but then when i start manual installation select everything, then go to ftp install, i say automatic via dhcp or whatever and then it asks for an ip adress :confused: where to install it from.. it doesnt like ftp.suse.com (no duh its not an ip adress :stuck_out_tongue: ) and i dont know what to put in there... i think all of you know the awnser to the question so please dont yell at me *whimper*
ok thanx people..

it's probably asking for an ip address b/c you don't have dhcp server in your network. what is your network setup like? do you have access to the internet?

SuSE unless you pay for their CDs makes you do the FTP install, which requires internet access. you can use ftp.suse.com... it's just that you have to have your network set up right including DNS.

hope this helps.

yes, i have internet connection T2 w/ a 10 mbps cble realtek network kard (i loded it into the kernel b4 the installation) all i need to no is what to put in there it says "wrong input type" at an ftp site and it asks for the ip adress of the installation place.. phcp thingy puts something there too, some ip adress but it doesnt like that either. i dunno... :frowning:

If the graphics card work for you I can't understand why you would like to go for manual installation if you have the whole set of disks. Also, have you tried ftp.suse.com and it doesn't work for you?

dont worry! i did the ftp installation of suse also, do it right before you go to sleep because its gonna take a long time. its best to use a mirror closest to you, but this is the one i used:

you will then be asked for the source location, which is:

/pub/suse/i386/8.2

i THINK you can use /pub/suse/i386/current
which links to the current version, which is still 8.2.

id suggest you search the suse.com website for ftp mirrors that are close to you.

thanx alot..
that worked (altho my dad bought me redhat 9 so im using both now =P):smiley: