installation problem solaris,windows,suse on same machine

Hi all,

Previously I had both opensuse 11.3 and Windows XP SP2 on my PC, there was no problem at all.I was able to access all documents in Windows from opensuse.
Now when I wanted to install solaris 10 on the same machine there were 2 problems ...

1. Windows is not accessible from solaris
  2. Suse is not recognized by the grub of solaris

Can somebody help ???

Thanking u
M.C :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm a Solaris admin by trade. I would recommend that you blow away the Solaris install. OpenSuse should be fine after you put the disk back in and do a repair.

Solaris will never be able to access the windows system out of the box. Sun and Windows worked together to have the systems coexist in the same environment. So as a result of that Solaris is one of the few UNIX/Linux operating systems that Microsoft recommends, that will not compromise Windows security. So In short without modification there will be no file shearing other then FTP.

I would suggest you install Solaris in a VM. Oracle (Sun) has Virtual Box which is free. Solaris has a file system called ZFS that has built in CIFS (SMB) support so you can put the files on solaris and Windows will be able to access it after you configure it. Suse and Solaris should have no issues mounting each others file systems.

I hope this helps you

1 Like

is that grub2 or grub1? if its the same version as suse grub, just compare their menu.lst or grub.cfg.
I believe Solaris should be able to mount NTFS, at least as read-only.

1 Like

Hello friends,
I have just found something useful,
Multi-booting Solaris and other operating systems