installation of 5.2 on iBM p series system

Hi all,

we have iBM p series server on that 4. 3 operating system is runing.but i need ti install 5.2 or 5.3 then i ahve to install oracle 10g release 2 .but we have only 1 GB of RAM.can i install 5.2 or 5.3 with same RAM and please send me a document which discribe about how to install 5.2 .thanks a lot in advance.

Very easy to find, search a bit yourself there:

pSeries and AIX Information Center

Assuming you want to assign a SGA of any size to your database, 1 GB memory will hardly be sufficient or the system so slow that nobody can work with it.

Rgds
zxmaus

What model is your server? If it runs AIX 4.3 it may be too old to run AIX 5.2 or AIX 5.3.

The first line of output from:
lsconf
or
prtconf
should show you / us.

zxmaus is of course correct for purposes of a production or near-production systems. For testing purposes you can tweak the SGA to use a lot less of space (all these changes of course mean a heavy decay of performance). A good start to tune for less memory consumption is DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS, which is basically the DBs disk cache. Since the OS caches disk I/O anyways it is sort of redundant (for testing!!).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I think we should start asking what you want to do with this database server - do you expect many connections / large queries or do you maybe just need the database running to restore old dumps and lookup something in the data.

You can indeed run oracle with only very low physical memory - if you have enough virtual memory - I have seen DB2 servers kept entirely in virtual memory ... but as Bakunin already stated - the performance of such kind of servers is really bad - so you won't have much joy.

Regards
zxmaus