Install SUN O/S 5.9 on Sparc Sunfire 280R

Hi,

I' trying to install O/S 5.9 on Sparc system Sunfire 280R. I downloaded CD install and CD 2 from Sun Website but later i dowloaded CD 2 that i forgot for my installation. All CD are in ISO formats.

I boot system at OK prompt then issue
OK boot cdrom
when it asks for CD 1, i removed cd install out then put back in cd 1, close then hit click OK.
It complaining that "Bad magic number in disk label"

Anyone could help please?

Do i need to label all of the disk the same, how we do it?

Thanks

You don't need the install cd.

Just download CD1 and CD2. Use whatever burning software you have that supports burning iso images and create the CDs. Put in CD1 and at the openboot prompt run your `boot cdrom`.

Just looks like your cd didn't burn properly.

Thanks. I'll try it again today to burn those CD.

I downloaded another set of iso file this time using Sun Download Manager Software and burn ISO with CD-R, it's still not working. It's giving the same error "Bad magic number in disk label"

It looks like the HD has O/S installed on it. But i still want to erase it then install the 5.9

thanks

why has it to be solaris 9? solaris 10 runs very well on a 280r server... also there was an error with the dvd firmware on this kind of servers... have a look at the output of "probe-scsi-all" from ok prompt level... the dvd fw shoud be 1009 but not below... to update the fw you might need patch number 111649 from sunsolve.

Hi,

The reason is because we're replacing the production hw which the application can only be running and the company only support or certified their application on 5.9 but not on 10.

I'll check the firmware though.

Thanks

upgrade the firmware if necessary. it might be the cause..

I could be wrong as dont install much via CD/DVD as I use jumpstart and JET but could it be when the install is trying to hit the drive the system is trying to install the OS on?

i.e you have a drive with a bad label which needs to be looked at from a format?

Had something similar on a T1000, hardware raided it, went to install but it failed when jumpstarting. had to boot it single user and format the drive, when I entered format, it asked me to label the drive which I did. Restarted the install and everything went fine after that